send-to-friend module is used to send spam

itbranson

Hi guys,

I've an issue with the send-to-friend module. Some one/bot sends spam email from this module to others.

www.example.com/modules/sendtoafriend/sendtoafriend-form.php

I only knew this when my server admin told me why i receive so many failed email delivery notices.

Could anyone help me solve this? Is it a hole in the module?

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also having same Mail delivery error. Received about 100 of them in 3 days.

Tried the solution posted on www.ellis87webdesign.com but I'm having a hard time making it work...

Not sure where to paste the "div id=begonespam" code

Could anyone help with that ?

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

Are you all using the default send to a friend module, or something you downloaded elsewhere? If you're using the default, I will definitely look into this to see what our developers suggest in order to prevent this from happening again.

-Mike

mike, any update? 1.4.8 still has no spam protection and this should be a must these days. same by the way for the contact form. now I need to look for some 3rd party solution. anything you can recommend?

phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Damn.. I have removed the folder sendtoafriend from the server, yet it stills sends me thousands of spam emails. I don't want this module, I just want to get rid of the spam. It causing my shop to crash, because there are too many connections to my database. In the table ps_connections I have around 100,000 entries... 

So - module deleted, problem exists - what to do?

Any help much appreciated...

Hello Guys,

Damn.. I have removed the folder sendtoafriend from the server, yet it stills sends me thousands of spam emails. I don't want this module, I just want to get rid of the spam. It causing my shop to crash, because there are too many connections to my database. In the table ps_connections I have around 100,000 entries... 

So - module deleted, problem exists - what to do?

Any help much appreciated...

if it's not deleted from server - it's not deleted. go to ftp and delete it manually

• 3 months later...