Disillusioned

Ava123

Hi, I am currently using PrestaShop 1.6. I am not familiar with PrestaShop or ecommerce and currently I am am so disillusioned with everything, including myself. I can’t get things to work and I have totally confused myself. Customers have trouble signing in to their accounts once logged out. Customers can’t request a new password. They say the site is hard to navigate ☹️. I am hopeless with the keywords and meta tags and have no clue as to the SEO. I don’t know how to change the URL for example www.podsandsods.com.au/44-stroller-toys to www.podsandsods.com.au/stroller-toys. I had a seo report done and it’s terrible and I feel like a duck out of water. Please, any help would be appreciated as I don’t know where to go from here.

Thanks, Ava

First of all you should check if your server meets the min. requirements for to work with prestashop. Here you will find them: https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/633856-server-requirements-tested-in-production-for-ps-16/

If you don't know how to lead with that requirements, you should ask for support of your provider. Most of the values you can change on cPanel, or other webspace panel your provider is offering to you. If it's not the case, than you should take into consideration to move your webspace.

Second thing, is you should make yourself familiar with Prestashop. How it works, how to configure. Here you will find tutorial. There are also good tutorial on YouTube, if you are a visual person.

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/User+Guide

Do you have a test shop on your local computer? You should. You need a playground where you can try things without being afraid to mess up your shop.

As for that product number in the url: it doesn't harm your SEO. Rather than keywords and metatags you should spend more time making nice descriptions that are unique for your website. Or maybe you are good in graphics... Start with things that you are good at and make the webshop that you would like to shop at. 

If you make a habit of daily reading a bit related to webshops - either on a forum or some magazine - you will sooner or later learn those other things too.

Unfortunatley there is no magic wand we can wave that makes you an ecommerce expert. There is SOOO much involved. It takes time to gain the experience and understanding.

As suggested, a test site is great so you can jsut play and play and play. Do lots and lots of reading

1 hour ago, Ava123 said:

Thanks everyone. Ok this shows how dumb I am, but how do I do a test shop on my computer?

Actually this doesn't have anything to do with being Dumb, its a learning process. SEO is "Search engine Optimization". Google for example wants a website to be structured. Keywords define what is expected on the site. You can add keywords for all your pages. For example if your selling car parts your keywords for the site could be: car accessories, wheels and so on... chose the ones that describe your site the best. On a product like a muffler the keywords would be: muffler and so on...

There are themes that are very seo friendly and take care of the most. There are modules that actually add all seo related things to products you add automatically. Just have a look and google it. You will see it is not that hard :).

Edited by jetway (see edit history)

running a standalone (self installed) ecommerce is 'not' easy.  You have to wear many hats.

that is why there is shopify and other hosted solutions.  the trade off you need to consider is the price of hosted solutions vs. your time and efforts for standalone.

the best advice is to have a devcopy of your shop you can try things on before applying to production shop.  that  is key