Editing front office translation truncates file

I installed Prestashop 1.0.0.8 on my webserver and imported/copied the latest Dutch language files I found on the forum. That went all fine but when I edited some of the Dutch language sentences through the backoffice->tools->translations option I lost most of the already translated parts for the Dutch language. The imported file in themes/prestashop/lang was 38.8 Kb and after the edit and update through the backoffice only 16 Kb. was left of that file (nl.php).
I can't find anything similar on the forum about this problem and my question is if there is something special I should take care of or is this a bug with the translation tool inside the backoffice ?

Well, as it turns out this doesn't happen on my local install of Prestashop so it has to be some server side thing. Besides some minor difference in MySQL 5 and PHP 5 version my host has suhosin actived which I don't have installed locally. Haven't had time to look for further differences but will investigate this a bit more to see if this suhosin patch really is the culprit. I still hope someone who has experienced the same or knows the culprit can tell some more....