1-click Upgrade Fails

HAIRWEBSHOP

Hello,

We use a clean Prestashop using only paid modules from the addons page.
I tried upgrading Prestashop from version 1.6.1.17 to 1.6.1.18. Before doing so, I reinstalled 1-click Upgrade, as this was required the last time we ran into an error.

Upgrading Prestashop has never worked without errors and the need to restore a full backup, this is also true for our clean Prestashop 1.7.2.5 test environment. As predicted, I again encountered an error, jqXHR.

This is what our server log has recorded:

[15-Mar-2018 09:31:06 Europe/Paris] PHP Warning:  mysqli::query(): MySQL server has gone away in /home/xxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxx/domains/hairwebshop.nl/htdocs/www/modules/autoupgrade/db/DbMySQLi.php on line 96
[15-Mar-2018 09:31:06 Europe/Paris] PHP Warning:  mysqli::query(): Error reading result set's header in /home/xxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxx/domains/hairwebshop.nl/htdocs/www/modules/autoupgrade/db/DbMySQLi.php on line 96
[15-Mar-2018 09:31:06 Europe/Paris] PHP Warning:  array_merge(): Argument #1 is not an array in /home/xxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxx/domains/hairwebshop.nl/htdocs/www/classes/PrestaShopCollection.php on line 398
[15-Mar-2018 09:31:06 Europe/Paris] PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/xxxxx/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxx/domains/hairwebshop.nl/htdocs/www/classes/Tools.php on line 2390

Will someone please help us figure this out, upgrading is so unstable that we're thinking about migrating to another e-commerce platform.
Thank you in advance!

Edited by HAIRWEBSHOP
Readability (see edit history)

I'm with you. I was upgrading some older PS versions these days with the 1-click module and it didn't worked with same error. I migrated that shops than manually, but this is only for experts.

If I were you, I will add the problem to the debug tracker. Only here bugs are really treated.

If you want to give a try by doing a manual upgrade you can use this thread I've written some years ago. I guess you will succeed successful, as it is not a major upgrade: https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/251288-manual-upgrade-guide-ps-12-ps-13-ps-14-upgrade-only-database/

BTW I upgraded PS 1.4 to 1.6.1.18 manually with the same tutorial ;)

I think it will work without any problems if you disable all third party modules and overrides before upgrade. MAKE A COPYOF FTP BEFORE and also BACK_UP our DATABASE.

Hello selectshop.at, and thank you kindly for your reply.

It seems that a lot of users have already reported the problem to the debug tracker. We prefer not to use unofficial workarounds, as this can lead to unexpected results.

Since PrestaShop 1.6.x support is slowly coming to an end, we are faced with the difficult decision to spend our time, effort and money on upgrading to Prestashop 1.7.x or migrating to another e-commerce platform.

I personally hope to stay with PrestaShop, but I also have to secure the future and stability of our webshop.

For an upgrade to PS 1.7 is too early. Stay with PS 1.6. and wait for next stable version with is not in development and finally moved to symfony framework (personally I hope it will be PS 1.8? - we will see.).

This workaround is unofficial, but is mine and I've migrated/updated several shops with it. My own ones and also several customers shops - (I'm with Prestashop since version 1.2 officially, and unofficially since 1.0). For to upgrade major versions it could be a risk if you don't know Prestashop's database, but to upgrade a minor version in a version, I don't think you will have any risk using that tutorial. Nevertheless it is OK, if you don't want to touch your shop and prefer to do it with 1-click-modul.

The support for 1.6 ends in October 2018. Several problems have occurred in the past due to browser updates that were resolved in a maintenance update. Should such a problem recur after October 2018, we have a problem.

In one way or another, we have to prepare to upgrade to Prestashop 1.7.x or another e-commerce platform. Objectively speaking, prestashop can't even handle a minor maintenance update without errors and the need to restore a full backup. This lead us to believe that migrating to another e-commerce platform may be the safest choice we currently have, though not necessarily the cheapest and easiest way.

Edited by HAIRWEBSHOP (see edit history)