Geolocation not working

Lately, I've been getting spam messaging in my Prestashop (1.5.4.1) from Russia.  It's coming in straight through the internal messaging system -- not to the contact email.  All of the visitor emails end in .ru and none of them are registered customers.  I only sell to US and Canada, so I set those as the only checked countries in Geolocation, and set it so visitors from restricted countries cannot see my catalog, and finally enabled Geolocation by IP address.  As a test, I accessed my site from my iPhone through a VPN via a Romanian server so it looks as if I'm visiting from Romania.  No problems -- Prestashop let me through to the site as if I was unrestricted.  No problems seeing my catalog, adding an item to the cart, sending a message, nothing.  While connected, I checked the stats for visitors online and ran the IP address through an online IP geolocation service and sure enough -- it's a Romanian address, so for some reason, Prestashop is not blocking any IP addresses through geolocation.  Is there something I'm missing?