[SOLVED] Category Filtering options and possibilities [1.7.3]

Hello!

I asked a question a few days ago about how to upgrade but my team had decided since then that the best option if to start fresh (kind of) with the new version.

I have a problem with product filtering, or maybe just I have a misconception that I need correcting. Maybe someone here can help me by either telling me what I do wrong, or pointing me towards a better way to do things.

In our old shop (1.4.2), we had kind of a massive category tree that worked like this:

Parts

• Model A
    • Type 1
    • Type 2
    • Type 3
  • Model B
    • Type 1
    • Type 2
    • Type 3
  • Model N (Etc...)
    • Type 1
    • Type 2
    • Type 3

New Machines

• Model A
  • Model B
  • Model N...

So, we had the subcategories repeated everywhere. That made a pretty tree for navigation, but it was kind of a mess as there are more than 30 different models and that many repetitions of every single sub-category.

Since we are starting anew, I thought that maybe a new type of organization would be better.

I propose having something like this:

Models

• Model A
  • Model B
  • Model N...

Parts

• Type 1
  • Type 2
  • Type 3

So, the idea is to filter both by Model and Part to find the items you want, or just by model if you are not sure what you are searching.... you know what I mean.

The thing is that I configured the Main menu to show me both parent categories and subcategories (wich it does) but once I click on either of those, the Faceted Search is just showing me the subcategories within the parent category I chose (so if I chose Parts, it only lets me filter by Type 1, Type 2, etc...) and I would need to filter by BOTH Model and Parts...

I guess I don't entirely understand the Faceted Search, and the Filters templates. I tried adding a "Parts" template AND a "Models" Template, but it didn't exactly do anything at all. I then added a "Home" template with every single category in it and SOMETIMES, depending on the alignment of the planets and the whims of the gods (I think), it shows every single category and subcategory as a filter, but 99% of the time it just doesn't and I don't know why. 

Also, when it DOES show everything it's all mixed together like:

[ ]Models
[ ]Model A
[ ]Model B
[ ]Model C
[ ]Parts
[ ]Type 1
[ ]Type 2
[ ]Type 3

And I would like to be able to kinda make it different subsection so they don't get mixed together and is VERY CLEAR that you are choosing two completely different .

Is my design flawed? Can it be done? How so?

Or is there a better option?

Should I just keep the old order with the n-multiplied categories as my companions are nagging me to do?

Thank you all in advance.

Edited by dhernandez (see edit history)

Hi!

Have you tried to use the Features? If you create 2 features (Model and Type) and their corresponding values (A, B, C... and 1, 2, 3...) and then assign these values to your products, you should be able to use the Faceted Block the way you want... You'll need to display both your features in the faceted search, and then your curstomers should be able to select the models and/or types they're looking for.

And sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language!

Don't worry about your english, I'm spanish so not my native language either, but as far as I know yours is spot on.

That is what I eventually did! Sorry for not updating this but since there were no answers when I found that solution I thought nobody would care.

What I ended up doing is creating the "model" and "type" features as you mention, and in order to not have to manually set that in the almost 3k products, I exported all the products via Database into a CSV, then copied the "categories" column, and with some search and replace magic added the correct format to the categories (Mostly adding "Model:" or "Type:" before it, then a sequential number for order after it, then ":0" to tell Prestashop it is NOT a custom Feature), then reimported all the products and set the filters as you mention.

"Categories" seems a bit redundant to me now, but at the very least I have the functionality I needed.

Thanks! :)

• Like 1