So last night I decided to upgrade to the "stable" version 1.7.3, and ever since I have had a terrible time. Here's what happened:

Upgrade process: During the upgrade using the 1-click upgrade plugin (newest version), the progress got stuck on the database update. It never finishes this point. So I rolled back to 1.7.5 from my backup and did it all over again - same issue. However, refreshing the page, it tells me that the newest version 1-7-3 is installed and that no files are to be modified. The FO and BO seemed to work fine, too. 

This morning however I noticed that I am unable to edit products (error on saving changes), and when I click on "New Product", it takes me to the Dashboard. 

Next try to rollback to 1.7.5. failed for some reason, too, got several errors on the admin. 

Questions: 

1. Anyone else with these issues?

2. Is there a way to re-do the upgrade steps manually? I assume the update hasn't finished properly, which now prevents the system from working correctly. 

PS. Roll back would not be a real option, since I have had 2 orders this morning which I would loose through a restore and the errors I received last night. 

Many thanks for your quick help

Yeah that's the main lesson with PS, never just hit once lick upgrade, and especially on a live shop as it hardly ever works properly. This particular update should be avoided as it has bugs which I can't be bothered even dealing with, so restored my test site back to the previous version. I trust you made a backup of your store and also db? 

I wish PS 1 click update came with more explicit warnings for people new to this software. It's not like Wordpress.

Hi ben18285, 

I had same experience upgrading to 1.7.3 - the upgrade freez during the database upgrade. Did you manage to upgrade?

Very good advice to do the upgrade on a test copy first - I did that but cant get the test copy to work (stuck in that backoffice not work correctly). I raised the question in the forum - no answer and nothing on Google.

Hope there are PS expert that can come with some advice for us newbies.

Hi all, thanks for your answers. Yes, I must admit I trusted the “stable” release lol won’t happen again. I finally got it to work. What I did was to backup the database containing the new orders for later manual insertion. I then did the following:

1. Restore older server backup to roll back to 1.7.2.5

2. Diasable ALL third party plugins (important!)

3. Change back to default theme (important!)

5. Perform upgrade through one click upgrade plugin - no issues during upgrade 

6. Change back to my theme and reactivate all needed plugins

That way worked well for me. It is important to do all the above steps. I tried it first by deactivating plugins and using my theme - didn’t work. Then tried default theme and plugins activated - didn’t work either. Default theme and plugins deactivated- works like a charm.

In my case after successfull update, I only had to drop all my order related tables and import them from my db backup in order to have the latest orders on the system, too. 

Btw-now running a development environment of my store - lesson learned 😉

hope that works for you guys

• Like 1

Thanks for your fast reply, Your guide sounds very reasonable, so I will give it a try during the weekend and followup on your post (maybe it can help others).

The development environment you setup, is that on a local computer with a copy of your shop web and database? (do you use a SSL certificate on your shop?) Try to find why my local environment not work (navigating the Backoffice not work correct - so the 1-click upgrade not work). 

It shouldn't be this difficult to upgrade.  I might try upgrading again but what a pain.

PS:

This is the error I'm getting:

[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeFiles] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR: " "

at /classes/webservice/WebserviceSpecificManagementImages.php files left to upgrade.

PS

I ended up disabling all my modules and the upgrade worked.

Edited by TinyStore (see edit history)