Having changes to default theme survive after Prestashop upgrade?

BrainSuperGlue

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a bit basic but this is the only the part of Prestashop I can't get my head around.

I want to make sure that any changes I make to my theme, such as an extra logo here and translations there stick after I upgrade Prestashop from 1.6.1.17 to 1.6.1.18 for example.

When I went from .16 to .17 I had to spend a couple of hours putting the changes back in.

From what I understand, if I make those changes as overrides then when I upgrade the changes will still be there.

Is that correct or do I need to do something else?

Thanks

BSG

• BrainSuperGlue changed the title to Keeping changes to default theme after Prestashop upgrade?
On 02/03/2018 at 2:11 AM, BrainSuperGlue said:

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a bit basic but this is the only the part of Prestashop I can't get my head around.

I want to make sure that any changes I make to my theme, such as an extra logo here and translations there stick after I upgrade Prestashop from 1.6.1.17 to 1.6.1.18 for example.

When I went from .16 to .17 I had to spend a couple of hours putting the changes back in.

From what I understand, if I make those changes as overrides then when I upgrade the changes will still be there.

Is that correct or do I need to do something else?

Thanks

BSG

Bump.

Are there any instructions (official or not) on how to merge back your changes to the default bootstrap theme? 

What does everyone do when there is an upgrade to Prestashop? 

Thanks

BSG

I understand you modified the default-bootstrap and lost the changes on upgrading.

If so then there are two choices:

1. Next time don't modify this theme but export it and import it with another name and file location; then customize this, changes won't be lost.

2. If you already customized the default-bootstrap, you have a setting in the 1-Click upgrade module to skip the overwriting of the default-bootstrap theme, use it.

On 31/03/2018 at 11:09 AM, Rho_Bur said:

I understand you modified the default-bootstrap and lost the changes on upgrading.

If so then there are two choices:

1. Next time don't modify this theme but export it and import it with another name and file location; then customize this, changes won't be lost.

2. If you already customized the default-bootstrap, you have a setting in the 1-Click upgrade module to skip the overwriting of the default-bootstrap theme, use it.

Thanks for the information,

If I copy the export the theme and import it with a different name after the upgrade, I take it my code won't remove any of the security fixes performed by the upgrade?

In the same way as the 2. If I don't get the upgrade to update the default theme I've customised, am I opening myself up to a security hole that isn't patched?

Many thanks

15 hours ago, BrainSuperGlue said:

I take it my code won't remove any of the security fixes performed by the upgrade?

Not sure what this means; I am saying it again, if you export/import the default theme into another one with a different name (and in a different directory, of course), then the auto upgrade of the default them won't change any of your new theme files.

And the security holes come mostly from within php files not tpl ones; you'll still be able to upgrade any modules that you use in your new them, no problems with that.