class_index.php corruption?

andyfick

Hi,

My site is an established Prestashop site, currently running 1.6.1.16. I am currently not doing any development work on the site, and I haven't made any back-end changes for some months.

In the last week, the site has gone down twice, with home page and back office returning an error 500.

Thanks to some googling, I removed the cache/class_index.php and the site came back up.

In the many years of running this site, this is the first time I've had this problem - and to have it twice in a week is worrying.

So my question is, are these errors pointing to something more serious going on with the site?

Are there any checks I can make, or settings I should be adjusting, to identify what might be causing the issue?

In the Prestashop log files, I get periodic 'Invalid product vars at line 106 in file classes/Link.php' but they don't tie in with the time that the site has gone down so I'm thinking these are unrelated.

Any help or pointers would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

Where is the site hosted? Could the host have made some changes such as changing the PHP verion or apache?

Did you switch on debug when the site gave 500 error to see if there was more detail?

Thanks Ron,

The hosting company claim that they haven't made any changes - I contacted them as soon as the error occurred and they flagged up script errors.

I can control the PHP version within my control panel, so I know that hasn't changed.

Unfortunately, I was so concerned about getting the site back up that I didn't switch on debugging when it last happened. However, your comments prompted me to dig into my hosting control panel, and I have the apache logs for the time of the last outage. These are the first two errors thrown when the site went down (and it then continues with similar errors until I deleted the class_index file:

26963 accessoriesforthehome.co.uk [Wed Feb 21 19:19:58 2018] [error] [client 109.149.206.237:53844] AH01215: PHP Warning:  require_once(/home/sites/accessoriesforthehome.co.uk/public_html/classes/db/DbQuery.php): failed to open stream: Stale file handle in /home/sites/accessoriesforthehome.co.uk/public_html/classes/PrestaShopAutoload.php on line 111: /home/sites/accessoriesforthehome.co.uk/public_html/admin/ajax.php

26965 accessoriesforthehome.co.uk [Wed Feb 21 19:19:58 2018] [error] [client 109.149.206.237:53844] AH01215: PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/sites/accessoriesforthehome.co.uk/public_html/classes/db/DbQuery.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear7:/usr/share/php') in /home/sites/accessoriesforthehome.co.uk/public_html/classes/PrestaShopAutoload.php on line 111: /home/sites/accessoriesforthehome.co.uk/public_html/admin/ajax.php

Not sure whether that helps ...

Andrew

Hi, just an update on this.

The site has gone down again, twice in the last week. It seems to be at around 7am.

From the logs, there's nothing definitive happening at this time, other than search engine bots crawling the site.

I then realised my robots.txt file hadn't been regenerated since the site first went live, and was allowing bots access to everything - I've since regenerated the robots.txt file.

Could this be linked to the problems?

Andrew

Site's gone down again this evening.

Each time it goes down the entry in the error log is the Stale file handle error.

I've been unable to find any information relating to Stale file handle errors in Prestashop, so I'm really at a loss.

Also, I upgraded the site to 1.6.1.18 to see if that would fix the issue, and it hasn't made any difference.

Help!

Thanks Ron,

I've put in a support ticket to the host to ask if they can check everything on their side (PHP and apache changes, and state of the disk / server). We'll see what they come back with.

It's got me well and truly stumped!

Andrew

Well, nothing useful from the hosting company - no reported filesystem issues and no recent changes to PHP / Apache.

I discovered that I'm running PHP 7.0.27 which I'd seen previously reported as containing memory leaks. They won't offer an upgrade until they've thoroughly tested the later versions, so I'm stuck with that for the time being.

However, this problem only started two weeks ago - and prior to that no changes had been made to anything, so I'd be surprised if it was that.

Back to the drawing board ...