Hosting...

Runn

Hi All,

Can someone please recommend the best of the most affordable hosting solutions for PS?

From the PS recommended hosting partners I chose TMD Hosting, but at this moment I am not confident I made the right choice. Theme and dropshipping menu were attempted to be installed on separate subdomains... Since Monday 5th Feb they haven't been able to successfully install a PS theme I bought last week. First, someone forgot it (I presume) for about 3 days, plus I have to repeat myself over again with the next person on shift (so it seems) that picks up the case, and now I am being told about some error message that isn't being communicated.

What could be the cause of this error? They sent me a link to a screenshot where I didn't see the error.

Thanks.

Thanks Stylesupplier for your response. I considered Bluehost, but I understand they only host from their base in Utah and I want the closest servers to Africa (particularly West and Central parts). The other important consideration would be a well spread CDN network and that doesn't seem to be the case with Bluehost currently. And finally, on Bluehost's website there's a lot of talk about WP/Woo, but no mention of Prestashop...

Hi Tinystore, thanks. Frankly, I did consider A2 and they were looking good to me for much of the time. I think many of these hosts sound so much alike that there is no differentiation in that industry. It's seems pretty confusing to make the right choice. 

1 hour ago, xpindia said:

Get a dedicated server for hosting... that's the best option. I got a dedicated server and prestashop has not given me any trouble during upgrades etc...

Interesting. I'd love that too, but I hear they are pricey. Who's your provider and around how much per month you paying? I would need a managed service, as I am not very technical. Thanks.

On shared hostings, even certified ones like Inmotion etc you will get problem with wrong permissions (777 & 666) set by Presta 1.7 everytime you install a module etc. So the VPS/VDS or hardware servers are the only choice.

P.S. Seems like Presta developers aren't very interested in fixing this BUG. :angry:

Edited by 884483048 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, 884483048 said:

On shared hostings, even certified ones like Inmotion etc you will get problem with wrong permissions (777 & 666) set by Presta 1.7 everytime you install a module etc. So the VPS/VDS or hardware servers are the only choice.

P.S. Seems like Presta developers aren't very interested in fixing this BUG. :angry:

Thanks for the info. This probably explains why my host couldn't successfully install it. I wondered why a team with experience installing PS would suddenly not be able to install it anymore. The error message said "bad configuration file"...

3 hours ago, 884483048 said:

Frankly can't say how much support the wider development community still contributes towards PS. You can see from the interaction on this forum, doesn't appear there's a lot of [spam-filter] support.

After just getting PS I learned on the internet that a lot of the community didn't like 1.7. I am guessing this is what birthed the project Thirtybees, mostly led by PS gurus (it seems). Personally, I just want to get my marketplace up and running (with minimal issues), so I ask which is better:  which has more themes / modules / features and which will have more support in the short and long term? Let's say the PS company leadership decides to address all concerns, what then happens to Thirtybees?

I might be wrong though, but well...

7 hours ago, El Patron said:

I recommend for starting out Liquid Web VPS Storm fully managed.  

Liquid Web VPS Storm fully managed.  While US based they also have data center in EU.  

https://www.liquidweb.com/products/vps/

We offer complete migration service, tuning your hosting to run your shop as FAST as possible.

PrestaHeroes Server Move Service

Thanks El Patron, I will consider this, Regards,

13 minutes ago, Dh42 said:

You get what you pay for. Liquidweb is where we host our enterprise level clients, they cannot really be beat. 

Don't be ridiculous they simply can't be 20 times better than hetzner or similar. So high prices are mean the only thing that they are ineffective - their resources and hired labor costs too much so they offer overpriced products.

Sorry man, you don't know what you are talking about. There are a lot of different types of hosting with different quality levels. Hetzner is machine managed hosting. That means they keep the machine up, everything else is on you. Liquidweb provides core managed services, meaning they do all the security updates on your core software. Which to me is worth it, since we don't have to integrate custom packages in and deal with it. 

4 minutes ago, Dh42 said:

Sorry man, you don't know what you are talking about. There are a lot of different types of hosting with different quality levels. Hetzner is machine managed hosting. That means they keep the machine up, everything else is on you. Liquidweb provides core managed services, meaning they do all the security updates on your core software. Which to me is worth it, since we don't have to integrate custom packages in and deal with it. 

Sure, one correct initialization and later running some commands from CLI periodically is a very difficult and time consuming task worth of paying 20 times more montly, LOL.

Things you are talking about are only have some sense if you are buying "a complete solution" like their managed woocommerce or wordpress offer but the price is even more high and the quality is still to be checked. By the way why they aren't offer similar Prestashop subscription plan? :)

To be honest I and most merchants make more doing our normal jobs than to keep up with every security exploit in linux systems. You might not and the $40 a month might make it worth it for you. For me it doesn't. 

No, all of their servers are core managed, the wordpress packages are application and core managed. I personally pay them $409 a month for our servers, because it is worth it for me. Sure, I have the ability to buy a hetzner server, we have even considered it. But, I like most professionals run a RHL flavor, not Ubuntu, so keeping track of packages is more of a fulltime job. 

It really shows immaturity in the industry comparing the two to be quite honest. How much realistic support do you think a company charging $3 a month can offer and not lose money? 2-3 minutes? This isn't a sysadmin forum, this is a merchant forum. 

Dh42

Any open source product like Prestashop or operation system or something else is a mostly DIY thing which has own security flaws left unpatched for long periods of time. If you want security, reliablity etc you should consider something else and it will be fully commecial. Although it may be based on open source though.

I repeat, on my opinion, there is no much sense in server core managment only. The only thing which may have some worth for "pure merchants" or we may say "common users" is their wocommerce and wordpress solutions.

You are actually titled here as Native Modules Developer but not a merchant, so you definetely should have some knowledge about how OS works. :)

Having a VPS you actually don't need any support, except the case when your server went offline.

This forum is a merchant forum? LOL, most of the topics here are related to technical issues. :)

Dh42

P.S. Maybe you as native modules developer can provide an answer why the Presta 1.7 when installs or updates any modules from backend sets insecure permissions 777 to folders and 666 to files instead of standard ones 755 and 644? This issue is registered at bugtracker more than a half a year ago and no fixes issued.

I am pretty sure everyone here knows my feelings on 1.7 from my rants and what our company did in regards to forking PrestaShop last year. I do not care for how it handles the modules, but I know why it sets the permissions the way it does, which I also do not care for. 

My company likely support more merchants than any other company in the PrestaShop eco-sphere, I speak from experience of some of the close to 1000 shops we support. If you want an unmanaged VPS, by all means go for one. But one thing I have learned over the years, is if people ask about hosting, that means they do not know how to evaluate and manage hosting. 

I don't see very many developers here anymore. I see merchants with broken shops trying to make them work, those are not developers, those are frustrated people. There is a big difference, the developers know how to fix the issues or debug them. 

It has to do with the new "security" features around the modules. If you notice in 1.6 you can uninstall a module, then reinstall it later. In 1.7 if you uninstall a module, it is removed from your modules list, even though the module is actually still in the /modules directory. 

• 6 months later...