syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ')' in /home2/schvarzy/public_html/xxx/index.php on line 15

Hello,

I am trying to install the program.  Usually I am ok with it but I keep getting an error when trying to install the software:

PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ')' in /home2/schvarzy/public_html/site-name/index.php on line 15

I have unzip the file prestashop_1.7.2.4 and uploaded the 3 files to the main directory.  the zip file in binary and the 2 others in ASCII (I downloaded them back to make sure they were ok and they were).  Permission on the 3 files are 644.  

What am I doing wrong....

Thanks for the help!

Fred

4 hours ago, endriu107 said:

Whats php version you use? It must be > 5.3 and I think for P.S 1.7 you should use php7.

5.2 is too old , like endriu107 mention ask them to change to PHP 7.0 or 7.1 , as that have noticeable speed improvement then  5.6 which is also fine.

The PHP version was too low.  I changed it to 7 and I was able to install prestashop.

Some other issues regarding customisations of the templates are arising but will check it someone has the same issue or if someone already replied.

Thanks to all of you for your help.