Disable/enable certain carriers depending on stock status

Is there any module or native function to autmatically enable/disable carrieres depending on the current stock status? 

What I am looking to achieve is to offer next day (express) delivery and same day delivery for certain zones. However, since I offer backordering of out of stock products, I don't want these express carriers to be available when the purchased product is out of stock. Therefore the needed function would be to add an option to carriers to disallow when out of stock, and the checkout process to verify this condition before displaying delivery methods.

Has anyone heard of a module that does this job? 

I am using latest version of PS (currently 1.7.2.4)

There is no module for that. You need to contract customized service. Prestashop does not work with stock as required field. You can use the stock management or not, It is a not required feature. Furthermore PS 1.7. does not use any advanced stock management like it was integrated in PS 1.6. (Your request is also not possible with PS 1.6., it is a customized task).

Alternatively check Prestashop's addons official site for paid addon: https://addons.prestashop.com/en/search?search_query=disable carrier