Prestashop 1.7 - A practical joke?

bnadauld

Does anyone even use Prestashop anymore? I feel like ive been the unwitting sucker in some kind of sick practical joke - one where i've waisted countless hours of my life learning something that (unless your using a tiny amount of (for 10ish products)) is completely infuriating.

Ive seen these sort of posts from people before - dont get me wrong the people who developed Prestashop are incredibly clever and great for releasing something for free and the people who have helped on this forum and stack exchange have been really kind for giving their time but - and theres always a but...

WTF

(The bitch part)

I spend 90% of my time fixing problems and getting round issues than i do actually creating my sites. This latest problem has really f**ked me off. Spending 3 weeks creating a site on 1.7 (for the first time) locally to find that i couldn't move it to my hosting server - im now having to rebuild it from scratch on my hosting server. Ive spent money on modules and templates, missed time with my kids as im trying to find out why one click has sent my site off to error heaven for the 100th time.

I think my main issue is the way is marketed - easy to use backend (which is great) out of the box ready but when u actually want to adjust the site and use a more 'complicated feature' like CSV import it become as fragile as a micron thick bubble of crystal and is so pernickety i ended up going back to the cigarettes (now on 20 a day (no BS). I wont get started on some of the paid for modules like leo theme BS.

This is just a vent off - i know im a ***t. I AM. I have no one to talk to - my mrs and the rest of the people here have no idea what sql is let along how to fix an udefined sql query string error - but hey - neither do i!.  If anything i just want to warn any unwitting new to website design(ers) (like i was 10 months ago) - use Prestashop but be prepared to sacrifice a large portion of your life if you want to do anything with it other than install a template - leave it looking as it is and not enter many products into it. The more i use it the more i feel i need 4 years at uni before get what it is I want done. Maybe i do - or maybe it could have been mentioned somewhere before - like a cigarette packet warning.

Also check that your hosting provider can fully run the engine - coz otherwise youre gonna spend hours breaking up ur sql database, product csv's, combination csv files to get them uploaded. If u plan to just not use the csv import feature (which is really the main feature) make sure your hosting provider allows you ample clicks on the backoffice otherwise ur gonna timeout and end up waiting an 1hr to get another 50 clicks - and believe me those 50 clicks get used up quickly.

If i can bring anything to the table (other than just be a dickhead moaner) and suggest something - maybe a simple casebase area on here where people who have an issue with a error or feature and manage to fix it-  there is an easy way to post what happened and how they fixed it. That way people like myself (not as c**ty im sure) have a way to share how they fixed the problem.

Has anyone moved to something new that i dont know about??

Edited by bnadauld (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There is a lot of complain about 1.7 on this forum. I've a Prestashop site going live at the moment and yes, we've had issues.  But we've overcome one obstacle after another. Now, when I read your post, I really don't understand what the problem is. It's looks to me as it has more to do with your hosting ?

The hosting issue was really just to help someone that might have accidentally stumbled upon this rant - a major problem if you use ipage.
I got a whole list of stuff that i'd like to put somewhere but not really sure where - anywhere from missing pointers on google maps to csv import problems to goggle analytics's not linking to ini settings on wamp. This latest one (cant move a site from wamp to server) without a doctorate in php/sql just pushed me over the edge.

If you think your problem is a bug, you can submit it to Prestashop Forge. Now, the Forge is not some sort of help center. If they cannot reproduce your problem in their environment, they will just close the ticket. You need to help them by explaining step-by-step how to reproduce the issue, add error messages, logs, configuration... and you need to help them further by debugging php, javascript, css...

• Like 1

I reported a bug to the forge, nothing happened. Even the forge itself had bugs. 

It certainly does appear as if 1.7 is a practical joke, I even made a post with a similar title a several weeks ago due to the crazy number of bugs there are in 1.7 and also in 1.6. 

The only thing more aggravating than waking up to see your website broke overnight for no reason whatsoever, is coming here to get help with the issue only to be ignored for months, and I am not exaggerating!

Prestashop itself appears to be setup like a scam. The addons don't show user reviews which EVERYONE knows are important for credibility. But to be honest the way things are setup here, which is obviously all about taking advantage of buyers, I would not trust buying anything from here. 

Prestashop is full of bugs.

This forum is virtually useless. 

I will never use Prestashop ever again.

I also advise people to stay well away from the Envato / Themeforest site that sells Prestashop themes and addons that simply do not work, that site is a 100% scam for sure!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I understand that Prestashop cant be held responsible for bad modules and themes but like you say i too have paid money for them and they/pretashop integration have completely messed up my site. Having to redo an entire site was so massive for me and my family - and after that... theres still massive bugs that mean my customers will get p*ssedoff and go somewhere else. I rely on the income a website provides to feed my kids and send them to school here in the Philippines. The switch over from Muse to 1.7 (after building a v sucessful 1.6 site) at the most crucial time of the year for our flower business was destroying to say the least.  

That said - thanks - i will def still check out Forge - its my only hope!

I too have lots of issues with the whole damn package, yes CSV imports do not work, well they do once you take into account the default field separator is a semi-colon, the clue is in CSV  COMMA SEPARATED VALUES, not SEMI-COLON SEPARATED VALUES,  some kind of masochist must have set that one up.

The the system breaks if you try to import more than 8 products at a time.

The product combinations feature is a great idea, but again the system breaks if you have over a certain number of combinations  (about 75) I think, plus you can't add an image to each combination, so 120 different colour pots of paint have to have the same colour pot showing, not very professional, or you resort to entering each one as a separate item, when your customers want a drop down of all the colours !

I could add a lot more, but all you get is go here, go there, this forum is a joke, and 1.6 and 1.7 are not fit for purpose.

13 hours ago, Mad Modeller said:

I too have lots of issues with the whole damn package, yes CSV imports do not work, well they do once you take into account the default field separator is a semi-colon, the clue is in CSV  COMMA SEPARATED VALUES, not SEMI-COLON SEPARATED VALUES,  some kind of masochist must have set that one up.

The the system breaks if you try to import more than 8 products at a time.

The product combinations feature is a great idea, but again the system breaks if you have over a certain number of combinations  (about 75) I think, plus you can't add an image to each combination, so 120 different colour pots of paint have to have the same colour pot showing, not very professional, or you resort to entering each one as a separate item, when your customers want a drop down of all the colours !

I could add a lot more, but all you get is go here, go there, this forum is a joke, and 1.6 and 1.7 are not fit for purpose.

I found the problem was with the hosting provided sql timeout setttings (that you cant change unless u own the server). The hack = dont touch ur site (mine is on ipage) for an hour then u can spilt ur csv file up into parts of about 100 id's - then upload 1 part of the csv at a time. Then wait an hour and do the next batch. A pain if you have 400 products with 3 combinations for each, like me . Also - i found that you must csv upload for categories first. Then ur products but with out image links. Then add all you image links to you combination csv file - otherwsie u get duplicate and missing images - then upload the combinations csv (1 part as a time). The price change with combinations csv import is also a problem as u can only do a impact on price change and not add a fixed set price.

I can upload my product list if that will help?

11 hours ago, bnadauld said:

I found the problem was with the hosting provided sql timeout setttings (that you cant change unless u own the server). The hack = dont touch ur site (mine is on ipage) for an hour then u can spilt ur csv file up into parts of about 100 id's - then upload 1 part of the csv at a time. Then wait an hour and do the next batch. A pain if you have 400 products with 3 combinations for each, like me . Also - i found that you must csv upload for categories first. Then ur products but with out image links. Then add all you image links to you combination csv file - otherwsie u get duplicate and missing images - then upload the combinations csv (1 part as a time). The price change with combinations csv import is also a problem as u can only do a impact on price change and not add a fixed set price.

I can upload my product list if that will help?

I have in the region of 2000 products to upload, it's going to take forever whichever way I use, nothing works, and I'm seriously looking for an alternative. I'm even considering hosted solutions

15 minutes ago, Mad Modeller said:

I have in the region of 2000 products to upload, it's going to take forever whichever way I use, nothing works, and I'm seriously looking for an alternative. I'm even considering hosted solutions

@Mad Modeller I have some experience with imports. What PS version do you have? In what format is your data source? PM me if you need help.

As I said in an other post, I had 14000 products to import. I finally imported the data into my own development environment (no time-out!), then exp/imp to production the tables via phpMyAdmin. I also purchased a imp/exp module that was 20x faster than native import function.