Is 1.7.x stable to build on

rschonhoff

You are likely going to receive a mix of replies and opinions on this, therefore you should do your own research and testing and validate for yourself if the platform is stable for you and your clients needs.

There are plenty of topics related to the stability of PS v1.7 on the forums, I would suggest you read through them.

As for my opinion, I would not use PS v1.7 in a production environment, and I would certainly not build a new store for a client on it, unless they are specifically requesting it, and that they understand the inherit risks of using this transitional version.

• Like 1

Hi,

Bellini answer fits my thought.

We have released this website: www.gr1ps.com, totally realized on PS 1.7 platform with a custom theme.

Functionalities we're using are very limited and frontend works pretty well.

On the other side backend has still many issues and we cannot guarantee a full access to the customer, because if he does not behave carefully in some circumstances he may compromise data (i.e. prices in a multistore environment or product taxes).

So the answer is: depends.

If you've been hired for a long term project you may consider 1.7 (since is the "future" version) knowing exactly what its limits are, what workarounds may avoid some issues. Moreover keep always an eye on release notes and development timeline. It may help you to take this difficult decision.

We picked version 1.7 because customer decided not to re-invest for a porting (1.6 > 1.7) to this platform, assuming his risks.
At the moment everything is going ok, but we have to deal with data entry and some configurations (and this is an additional cost for our customer), just because we don't feel confident in giving them a backend access as administrators.

Edited by manfield (see edit history)