Prestashop 1.7 - No more 1 page checkout

I am deeply dissapointed you removed the one page checkout and called this an upgrade in 1.7 version.  It is a feature that was in all previous versions and now you charge over $100 for the module.  This is an insult at best to your users.  NOT AN UPGRADE.  

In fact all the upgrades in this new version have turned into nightmares as so many plug in's no longer work or have major issues.  The mobile version you cannot remove items from the cart or change the quantity and you cannot do a few other really nice things you could do in past versions. 

You tout the spinning ajax thing as a benefit but it shows up everywhere in back office and is only really annoying. 

I am dissapointed as I have pushed Prestashop in my business for my clients for the last 10 years and now feel like I have failed them trusting your team. 

I am switching away from this product as I am sure many others will if real improvements and better leadership do not kick in soon.  

I am done being nickeled and dimed.  It feels like being ripped off and I won't allow that for my clients. 

Adios Prestashop, Shame on you! 

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, tinathegeek said:

I am deeply dissapointed you removed the one page checkout and called this an upgrade in 1.7 version.  It is a feature that was in all previous versions and now you charge over $100 for the module.  This is an insult at best to your users.  NOT AN UPGRADE.  

In fact all the upgrades in this new version have turned into nightmares as so many plug in's no longer work or have major issues.  The mobile version you cannot remove items from the cart or change the quantity and you cannot do a few other really nice things you could do in past versions. 

You tout the spinning ajax thing as a benefit but it shows up everywhere in back office and is only really annoying. 

I am dissapointed as I have pushed Prestashop in my business for my clients for the last 10 years and now feel like I have failed them trusting your team. 

I am switching away from this product as I am sure many others will if real improvements and better leadership do not kick in soon.  

I am done being nickeled and dimed.  It feels like being ripped off and I won't allow that for my clients. 

Adios Prestashop, Shame on you! 

Hi!

And with which product are you working now?

• Like 1

In PS v1.6 and previous versions, the was a 1 and 5 page checkout.  For those that did not like the standard 1 page checkout, they purchased a custom OPC module.

In PS v1.7, 5 page checkout was removed, and there is only a 1 page checkout. 

To change to a different type of one page checkout has always been via a paid module.  This is no different in PS v1.7

Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)

There is no more standard one page checkout option in 1.7.4

I am sorry but you must be just plain incorrect.  There is no option back office to make any changes to checkout at all now.  The option to change it to one page was removed in the new version 1.72 forward.  This in 1.6 which I have another store in does actually work fine and has this option.  Only in the new version1.74 is this the case.  So I do not believe I am seeing things and that you are incorrect.  As I am looking at both on my server, both versions and the differences.  How else would I know this information?   Really.  It was an attempt to sell plug-ins/add ons and it is down right shady nickel and dimeing and not an upgrade a downgrade.  Shame on Prestashop for this decision!  PERIOD! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, tinathegeek said:

There is no more standard one page checkout option in 1.7.4

I am sorry but you must be just plain incorrect.  There is no option back office to make any changes to checkout at all now.  The option to change it to one page was removed in the new version 1.72 forward.  

I never said there was an option.  If you could stop talking and read, you might understand. 

PS v1.7 checkout is a one page checkout, and the 5 page checkout was removed entirely, therefore there is no need for an option.

Now if you do not like the one page checkout included with Prestashop, that is a different store.  But stop complaining, like it or do not like it, but move on.

How else would I know this information?   Really.  It was an attempt to sell plug-ins/add ons and it is down right shady nickel and dimeing and not an upgrade a downgrade.  Shame on Prestashop for this decision!  PERIOD! 

How else would you know?  First there are demos available, you can actually use the demos and test the new version for yourself and see what you like and don't like.

Second PS is free, you can simply install it on your server and test it before blindly upgrading your Production store and then complaining after the fact.

52 minutes ago, bellini13 said:

I never said there was an option.  If you could stop talking and read, you might understand. 

PS v1.7 checkout is a one page checkout, and the 5 page checkout was removed entirely, therefore there is no need for an option.

Now if you do not like the one page checkout included with Prestashop, that is a different store.  But stop complaining, like it or do not like it, but move on.

I suppose she refers to a OPC without hidden layers, so you don't need to click a button to fill in the next fields..

On 11/22/2017 at 8:31 AM, joseantgv said:

I suppose she refers to a OPC without hidden layers, so you don't need to click a button to fill in the next fields..

Prestashop never included that type of one page checkout, it has always been a paid module.  So to complain that it was removed is a pretty dumb argument, and that is what I am trying to educate them.

• 3 weeks later...

This was not what is in the earlier stores.  If you don't like my opinion that is your choice.  I read.  This used to be an option you would select 5 step or one page.  Now it is not there.  Now there is only the layered checkout.  This change sucks and is not user friendly.  

There are allot of changes to prestashop and the forum, such as the rude behavior of what should be someone minding their own business if they don't have help to offer.  My voicing my frustrations after years of being loyal and having prestashop fail even on install with new versions are valid in my eyes. EPIC fali to the tune of loosing a major client because I stood up for prestashop and it failed after months of work the day before launch.  I spent 4 days without sleep just before Thanksgiving to fix it with custom code.   This is so pathetic.  It used to take max a couple of hours to get support on the forum and always find answers.  Now weeks later stuff is unanswered or answered with your snide ways of insult.  

Look Prestashop is doing Microsoft bad behaviors and is releasing beta as production and it is sloppy and your service and support now sucks and people are moving on.  Prestashop once had fans, cult following and I happily led the race. 

I have been loyal and it cost me a major client right before Christmas.  So thanks but no thanks.  Sorry, not sorry for my opinion!  This is not the one page checkout that was there and it was removed in a shady way to make money on plug-ins.  Your hurting financially because you stopped caring.  The only ones helping are those selling modules.  It's just sad.  I am moving on too.  This new store I am doing I just tried a fresh install of Prestashop and it is back office white screen and logo and front office fine.. that's version 1.7.2.4 and it sucks.. this is a fresh install.. no help for days on the forum although I posted.. 

it's bad production release and greed.  PERIOD.  Learn to take this as it is, information on problems that can be solutions and grow from it instead of trying to defend crap!  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, marcelluka said:

She is right. Presta 1.7 checkout is joke, not opc

1.7 native opc is 'much better' than previous opc....maybe comparison there before judgement.

if one wants a kick ass opc, then go to addon's....we prefer/use the one written by dev from ColOmbia..

then you have nice opc....lol

you get what you pay for and not having high quality opc module then the shop is not very serious about user experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, selectshop.at 

Do you know how to delete the additional information of the paypal benefits?
In the module the tab is deactivated and the cache erased, but it shows the information of the benefits, 
and I am not able to find the file where the code is to erase it.

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Samuel.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

PS 1.7 came with some improvements, but it has also some points that disappointed me - i wrote about them in other posts.

Regarding the checkout process, it is quite ok for me, but it could have some things that could have been configurable. For example:

1. To allow the admin to hide from configuration things like: create account or login if you already have an account - to make guest check much more simple.

2. Guest checkout to be separated by the option to create new account or login - if i am not mistaken, this was the behavior in the version 1.6 and that was more intuitive for the customers

3. To allow a customer to finalize an order with guest checkout process even that customer has already an account created before with the same email address.

Tks,

Edited by leozao (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2018 at 12:09 AM, El Patron said:

1.7 native opc is 'much better' than previous opc....maybe comparison there before judgement.

if one wants a kick ass opc, then go to addon's....we prefer/use the one written by dev from ColOmbia..

then you have nice opc....lol

you get what you pay for and not having high quality opc module then the shop is not very serious about user experience.

what opc do you use - can you link it please

• 7 months later...
On 11/21/2017 at 7:42 PM, bellini13 said:

In PS v1.6 and previous versions, the was a 1 and 5 page checkout.  For those that did not like the standard 1 page checkout, they purchased a custom OPC module.

In PS v1.7, 5 page checkout was removed, and there is only a 1 page checkout. 

To change to a different type of one page checkout has always been via a paid module.  This is no different in PS v1.7

It depends if you look on this as a programist or web desibner it may be ONE page checkout but for potential customer (which is key look in this case) it's definetly not one page cause you see first only address, rest is hidden and you need to go through another steps to complete an order...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been 2.5 years since this was posted.

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my custom PS 1.6 theme to PS 1.7

Which is a lot of work by the way. There is 0 backwards compatibility. Hundreds of developer hours are needed to make this upgrade, if you have a custom theme (a theme that it once took hundreds of hours to design in the first place)

It was supposed to be for the sake of "better software design", which I'm okay with, and why I ultimately decided to make the investment and upgrade my shop.

There are certainly many improvements to the software design, and there are some really good new features in PS 1.7

That being said, there are also some major flaws, and much of the code is anything but modular, it violates several software design principles, and even goes against the very architecture it's build on (this architecture was my reason for choosing prestashop in the first place, many years ago)

One example, the {render} command totally destroys the MVC architecture. Suddenly the template file (view) acts as a controller by using this command. 

Right of the bat, that's the biggest flaw, and the documentation can back it up, pretty much admitting that {render} was a workaround created only for the checkout page and for the login form. Here's a quote from the documentation:

Some elements coming from the controller might need to be passed to this function. So far, it is only used for forms (customer information and checkout).

https://devdocs.prestashop.com/1.7/themes/reference/smarty-helpers/#render

Way to go, that's good "documentation"! Some elements might need to be passed to this function. Alright, makes things perfectly clear for any developer unfamiliar with the matter. Thanks a lot! Way to improve the software design! [/sarcasm]

And just to give one more example: This whole concept of {block} is a good idea, but why  would you keep the naming conventions so inconsistent that block names are used multiple times in different files (e.g. block cart_summary appears twice in checkout.tpl) but then they're referring back to differently named template files (e.g. cart-detailed.tpl is the template file for the block cart_overview. Why not use cart_overview.tpl ?). That might seem like a petty minor flaw, and I wouldn't complain, but things like that are quite noticable thoughout the entire code.

Who's making these decisions that give me a headache multiple times a day???

As a Theme developer I'm not only super confused trying to untangle this mess and make it work for my customizations, but I also have very little creative freedom, especially when it comes to the login form for example, and the checkout page. 

The login and account creation forms are totally entangled with the variables they require from their controller, so how the heck can I display them again? 

It was specifically stated in the documentation:

This reduce code to the minimum, without any repetition.

https://devdocs.prestashop.com/1.7/themes/reference/template-inheritance/

When you're making a platform like this, and you're trying to allow for creative freedom, then shouldn't you consider these things? 

For example: Why dump all form elements into ONE file "_partials/form-fields.tpl"? Is it really neccessary to load the whole tpl file containing every possible form element every time? 

Plus: you're not even doing it! The contact page and the password recovery page do not even make use at all of the form-fields.tpl.

And also: If there's a form field I don't want to use, or for whatever creative design decision, I wanna change the order of my fields... Guess what? I can't! Because it's pretty much determined for me and has all been packed into ONE variable, which the theme is for-looping over. What's the point of making MVC, when you could just let the controller spit out the HTML code? That's bascially what's happening as you pack all this design related information into one big array, and then loop over it to render the HTML code.

Just take a look at checkout/checkout-process.tpl

{foreach from=$steps item="step" key="index"}
  {render identifier  =  $step.identifier
          position    =  ($index + 1)
          ui          =  $step.ui
  }
{/foreach}

Does this look like a VIEW? A template file? Should a Web Designer really have to deal with this? There's not a single line of HTML code in this.

Looks more like CONTROLLER logic to me. VIEW is HTML, CSS, and maybe some JavaScript. You're literally using a templating language to run complex controller logic, that should stay in PHP. You discourage the use of overrides, then please make it possible to NOT use overrides. This is not a matter of "there aren't enough hooks". It's a matter of not implementing the MVC architecture properly. Separation of concerns.

Again: Who's making these decisions? Who's considering the creative freedom for module developers and theme designers? Who's considering how self-documenting the code is? (Because let's face it: Even though some effort was put into it, the documentation is basically non-existent. Why don't we just write code that can be quickly deciphered by humans? Then we don't have to worry about creating  documentation, either, because it would be self explanatory and self evident from the code alone) 

And these are just some of the many problems I'm stuck on. If anything, PS 1.7 has more complicated software design, because it's extremely difficult for a developer who's unfamiliar with the system, to understand it quickly. I've been developing stuff for prestashop for 6 years now, why is it that I can't quickly do a simple theme upgrade? It was only 1.6 to 1.7, not 2.0, or is it??

The reason I came across this threat, is because I'm also trying to get my simple, convenient one page checkout working again.

I wanna make sales, so I wanna keep things as eeeeassy as possible for my customers. The only button I want them to press is the "PAY NOW" button. 

Maybe that's another software design principle that the prestashop development team forgets about: K.I.S.S.!

Does anyone familiar with the architecture have a recommendation for me?

I only wanna get my login form on the checkout page, and the payment form.

How can I get a one page checkout, where I only have "create your account or log in" (reusing my original login form from the login page) and then the payment module with credit card info?

When I use include, trying to re-use my login form template file, I'm missing the form field definitions. When I use render, I'm missing some UI variable which I have no clue where that comes from, because render is CONTROLLER LOGIC and not VIEW logic. 

Edited by theillo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...