Backorder, how and why?

Abbesnabb

Since switching to 1.7 customers have occasionally been able to order more items than currently in stock even though the store is set not to accept orders on items out of stock. This did never happen with previous versions of Prestashop and I wonder if there is anything I can do about it. I do not want customers to be able to order more items than that there is in stock.

See attached image that, for some reason, our payment provider (Payson) seems to have been to have been involved twice.

backorder.PNG

One would think so, right? But I've run out of ideas of where to find such a configuration. Stock management enabled and not allowed to order out-of-stock products. In orders that are affected, the product quantity goes to minus, so instead of stopping at 0, Prestashop allows the quantity to go to -1, -2, etc. Strange thing is that this only started after switching to 1.7, never happened in 1.5 or 1.6.

Skärmavbild 2017-11-02 kl. 18.08.12.png

• 2 months later...

No, I thought I had found a way by moving anything out of stock to an out-of-stock-category plus other settings as rigid as I could find but I still get orders for items that have stock of 0 (and now below 0 which I did not think was possible with the settings I have). This makes me look sloppy.

Also, I really don't understand what happens when the customer manages to get the status "On backorder (paid)". So, no solution at all so far.

I suspect that it has something to do with a customer starting a cart, not making an order. Time passing and items run out of stock. The customer comes back and places the order. Prestashop, despite all the settings I've made, gladly accepts the order even though some items now are out of stock.

Edited by Abbesnabb (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found any solution to this?

same is happening to us, is the 3rd time now and is a mess to have to contact clients, explain the situation, make refunds etc  we can't figure out what is the problem as it only happen with some products and all configurations look ok and all products are set to deny when out of stock.

also running 1.7.2.4

The screen above shows the global setting, but the individual products can override this (well on 1.6 it can anyway, not sure about 1.7

So check the individual product page and see if the setting there is also the default

I believe its related to items that have been left in abandoned carts. Prestashop does not verify if an items is stil available after adding it to the cart or at least not in previous versions of prestashop. I do not know if this has been fixed, my guess is no. I had the same problem a little while ago with prestashop 1.6.1.xxx.

Another possibility is that you have manually set the product to accept orders. If you go to the product in the back office and go to quantity you will see what the setting is.

Edited by jetway (see edit history)

I really wish there was a setting in the back-office that I tampered with that caused this problem but no. I really wish 1.7 would behave as 1.6 did and simply didn't allow out of stock products to be ordered but no. We recently went from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 and we not put our hopes to that this issue should have been worked out. So far, there has been no out-of-stock products ordered and I hope this has been solved but I don't dare to promise that is has with the 1.7.3 version.

Edited by Abbesnabb
Missing words for complete sentence. (see edit history)