FAILS - Clean Install 1.6.1.17 to 1.7.x.x 1 click upgrade Fails

Clean install PS 1.6.1.17 no changes and trying to upgrade to PS 1.7.2.3 = FAIL

Should this work and has anyone been successful in upgrading via 1 click upgrade from 1.6.x.x to 1.7.x.x

Please share results so people trying have some guide to follow or just not try because it doesn't work.

Prestashop feel free to contribute and don't be a faceless stranger to the forum.

A year into 1.6 Maintenance - The way forward - Not quiet there yet.

build.prestashop.com

Hi, yes we have been successful doing upgrades to latest 1.7 but then we have done 100's of client shop upgrades so it's difficult for us to get stuck when an upgrade issue happens.  We have done a lot of .au 1.4/1.5 to 1.6 upgrades in the past and I'm excited soon to inform them that they should seriously consider 1.7 upgrade.

The community has lot's of experience to share so if you provide exactly your upgrade issue people can help.  Provide as much information as possible about your issue/hosting etc.

Happy PrestaShopping

Hi El Patron and thanks for your reply and contributions to prestashop.

I'm sure most of us could hack, export and import the required info to get it working.
But how many of the 100's of client shop upgrades worked successfully with the 1 click upgrade module ?

My question is more to benefit the community trying to upgrade not just me.
1.7.x.x has been out a long time now does the 1 click upgrade option work for anyone from 1.6.x.x to 1.7.x.x?
If not on clean install of 1.6.x.x why not?

I think most people having to start again just to have the latest prestashop version, spend $$$ on new modules / themes / time will look at other e-commerce platforms which is sad for us all.

Easy way to test if anyone has time
Clean install 1.6.x.x (so no old modules or themes interfere) suggest the latest version and upgrade it via the 1 click upgrade module to latest 1.7.x.x- did it work?

If anyone gets it to work or tweaks reply with steps taken.
I will be trying a few things over the next few days.

Thanks

• markaussie changed the title to Clean Install 1.6.1.17 to 1.7.x.x 1 click upgrade Fails - Anyone had success?

Getting closer some info so far - both errors the same just need to sort out the language part and might have success with both upgrade options

Some things I tried 

#1 Not Working for me - Standard 1clickupgrade module (1.6.8) in 1.6.1.17 and choose advanced option - local archive - used and stored in admin/autoupgrade/download a modified 1.7.2.3 zip file as the 1clickupgrade modules needs it in the old 1.6 download format - Folder [prestashop/1.7 files] - zipped or it will not be found (1.7 download zip different)
End result once upgrade started - [Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR: " "

#2 Working from 1.6.1.17 to 1.7.2.0 only then failed at further upgrade to 1.7.2.3 - Downgrade 1clickmodule to (1.6.7) in 1.6.1.17 from build.prestashop.com from article about a year old - choose major and follow prompts - It upgraded to 1.7.2.0
Tried to upgrade 1.7.2.0 via latest updated 1clickupgrade module (3.0.3) and it failed at database upgrade (same error as before) - [Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR: " "

PHP error
[22-Oct-2017 17:04:59 Europe/Paris] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant _PS_INSTALL_LANGS_PATH_ - assumed '_PS_INSTALL_LANGS_PATH_' in C:\xampp\htdocs\prestashop\src\PrestaShopBundle\Install\LanguageList.php on line 68
[22-Oct-2017 17:04:59 Europe/Paris] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class 'PrestashopInstallerException' not found in C:\xampp\htdocs\prestashop\src\PrestaShopBundle\Install\LanguageList.php:69
Stack trace:
#0 C:\xampp\htdocs\prestashop\src\PrestaShopBundle\Install\LanguageList.php(60): PrestaShopBundle\Install\LanguageList->__construct()
#1 C:\xampp\htdocs\prestashop\admin1234\autoupgrade\latest\install\upgrade\php\migrate_tabs_17.php(56): PrestaShopBundle\Install\LanguageList::getInstance()
#2 C:\xampp\htdocs\prestashop\modules\autoupgrade\AdminSelfUpgrade.php(2312): migrate_tabs_17()
#3 C:\xampp\htdocs\prestashop\modules\autoupgrade\AdminSelfUpgrade.php(1992): AdminSelfUpgrade->doUpgrade()
#4 C:\xampp\htdocs\prestashop\admin1234\autoupgrade\ajax-upgradetab.php(90): AdminSelfUpgrade->ajaxProcessUpgradeDb()
#5 {main}
  thrown in C:\xampp\htdocs\prestashop\src\PrestaShopBundle\Install\LanguageList.php on line 69

• Thanks 1

• markaussie changed the title to Solved - Clean Install 1.6.1.17 to 1.7.x.x 1 click upgrade Fails - Anyone had success?

Solution found.

Still waiting on a reply/input from prestashop.....

1 Click upgrade is faulty for me.
If I successfully upgrade using the beta 1 click upgrade (1.6.7) from 1.6.x.x to 1.7.2.0 it will fail further upgrades for later versions (1.7.2.x etc) with ajax server error (database issue).
If trying to upgrade using PS1.6.1.17 (1.6.8) 1 click upgrade - Fails with ajax server error (database issue).
If trying to upgrade using PS1.7.2.0 (3.0.3) 1 click upgrade - Fails with ajax server error (database issue).

Work around - Solution
How did I upgrade and evaluate PS 1.7.2.4 with my data.
Export customers, orders, categories and products using Store Manager (great tool not made by prestashop they have a 30 day trial, I use the paid version)
Clean install 1.7.2.4 and import store data (I tried clean 1.7.2.3 and imported data then tested upgrading to 1.7.2.4 and worked fine no AJAX server error)
Start setting up shop again (slow but clean start with no old modules/themes etc)

At the end of the day the import/export option is the better way for me to test/upgrade PS1.7.x.x (time consuming yes but clean start)
I'm not using PS1.7 in any Production environments at the moment as PS1.6.1.x works well for me.
I will keep testing PS1.7.x.x versions, wait for PS1.8 and try other e-commerce platforms for new projects. 

What I want to say to Prestashop but should I? Yes
Prestashop you should get involved in your forum for the community that use Prestashop and reply to questions posted it's not professional not being involved.
So many forum questions go unanswered imagine the sales growth (once you fix the addon store) you would get from contributing and showing you really care for the users.   

• Like 2

• markaussie changed the title to FAILS - Clean Install 1.6.1.17 to 1.7.x.x 1 click upgrade Fails

we were on PS 1.6.1.17 and tried to update with 1 click upgrade, initial with failures. Here is how we worked around.

We had to go expert mode, module could not find updates beyound 1.6.1.17.

1st attempt: with create full backup. Result: ErrorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR:

While our server makes full backup every hour, we deceided to update without backup through 1 click upgrade

2 nd attempt: update proccess reported OK.  500 error in front and backoffice.

restore backup from server throught server admin panel.

3 third attempt to upgrade.
under Advanced settings, Performance tab: disabled all non native Prestashop modules, disabled all overwrites, disable cache.
Now update  through expert mode. Update process reported O.K.

Check front: Worked O.K.
Check backoffice: access to, edit and save orders, custumers, products O.K. 

Visit backoffice module folder : result white screen, error in Prestashop app dashacitivity.
Action: FTP,  copy folder to local hard disk en removed folder daskactivity.
re-visit modules folder: result white screen, error in Prestashop app dashgoals.
Action: FTP,  copy folder to local hard disk en removed folder dashgoals.
Re-visit modules folder: result white screen........ 
We repeated this process of visiting backoffice modules folder and deleting FTP the module which caused a problem.  After this PS ran smooth.

Then enabled non native Prestashop modules and enabled overwrites.

To cut a long story short:  We repeated this process of visiting backoffice modules folder and deleting FTP the module which caused a problem.  After this PS ran smooth.

We found alle Prestashop (3) native dash modules,  (23) native stats modules and (3) non Prestashop native modules created error.   We assume non compatibility with 1.7.1, did not investigate further, will try to get 1.7.1 compatible versions of the modules.

Attached: screenshot of found incompatible modules.

screenshop incompatible modules PS 171.JPG

• Thanks 2

Thanks for your feedback.

Recommend Export/Import relevant database data to a clean install to test PS1.7.x.x 

PS1.7.3.x should be out soon to play with.
PS1.7.1.0 to 1.7.2.3 have security issues best to avoid all together.

PS1.6 - it works even if it's not “state of the art” right now.

• 2 months later...

I've been hammering away at this for a couple days now and wanted to share what I found out.

When you use the beta autoupgrader to go from 1.6.x to 1.7.x, it fails to update the PS_VERSION_DB in the `configuration` table.  Therefore, when you try and run the next upgrade, (e.g. 1.7.2.0 to 1.7.2.4), it tries to rerun ALL of the .sql files from the currently set PS_VERSION_DB to the last .sql version.  In my case, that would execute the SQL files 1.6.1.0.sql thru 1.7.2.1.sql, when all I needed was a single file, 1.7.2.1.sql, to be executed.

Things I did to finally upgrade straight from 1.6.0.14 to 1.7.2.0, then to 1.7.2.4:

• Make sure I added a Store.
  • Use the beta autoupgrader to go from 1.6.0.14 to 1.7.2.0.
  • After upgrade to 1.7.2.0, in the actual database, set PS_VERSION_DB to 1.7.2.0.
  • Fully uninstall any unnecessary / unsupported modules that I won't use any more.
  • Any legacy modules that I do hope to use, I moved their physical folder out of the /modules directory to a temporary directory. (Be sure to get rid of upscarrier and uspscarrier, too!)
  • Cleared the cache.
  • Updated the 1-Click Auto Updater to 3.0.3.
  • Try the upgrade to 1.7.2.4.
  • If successful, verify PS_VERSION_DB.

This is where I'm at as of now and hope to continue with my testing of the upgrade and all the other tweaks that will be necessary.

One other thing to note: a clean install of 1.7.x will show the 1-Click Upgrade in the left nav, but the upgrade doesn't.  To get around this, I had to uninstall/reinstall the module.  However, that has a bug in itself, too.  If you do this, be sure you go into the file system and set the folders to 755 and the files to 644 permissions for /modules/autoupgrader and /prestaadmin/autoupgrader (and all subdirectories).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

we are waiting for 1) 1.7.4 and 2) updated autoupgrade....

for  now anything else is grand experiment.  we have done several 1.7 upgrades but this is not really possible without a really really good knowledge of ps and it takes more than one of our team to accomplish.

I suggest wait 1.7.4 stable and I suspect given git updates on autoupgrade (ps has  full time person) that autoupgrade will be also released.

This is first time PS did not provide an autougrade path (they started to but stopped) which is really a better way as before people would destroy shops by doing upgrades to less than stable released.

happy selling, el

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, peter4661 said:

After weeks of struggle trying to pgrade, we decided to install fresh second PS 1.7.4.2 and migrated old to new with help of MigrationPro module . Worked like sharm.

Well done for stop wasting your time and I'm sure frustration at Prestashop trying to upgrade via the 1 click upgrade.

I ended up comparing and learning the database differences and changes from 1.6 to 1.7 so I can do it manually.

Some great work done by another member rynraf worth a read
https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/636877-almost-complete-tutorial-how-to-migrate-data-products-customers-orders-from-prestashop-16-to-prestashop-17-version/

I can now modify, export and import the relevant database and PS files and create a test PS1.7.2.4 version.

Still waiting for 1.7.3 stable before playing again (1.7.3 is still beta) 

Quote from build.prestashop.com today as I was checking if 1.7.3 rc released
PrestaShop Loves You! <3
Hope that makes us all feel better as I'm not sure anymore if the community loves Prestashop back :( 

• 1 year later...
On 11/4/2017 at 5:36 AM, markaussie said:

Export customers, orders, categories and products using Store Manager (great tool not made by prestashop they have a 30 day trial, I use the paid version)
 Clean install 1.7.2.4 and import store data (I tried clean 1.7.2.3 and imported data then tested upgrading to 1.7.2.4 and worked fine no AJAX server error)
Start setting up shop again (slow but clean start with no old modules/themes etc)

@markaussie can you tell which data you exported from Store Manager and the way you imported after upgrade? I'm currently trying to upgrade 1.6->1.7 and it's a chaos from the errors I'm getting. I also have the paid version of Store Manager

On 8/6/2019 at 6:30 AM, YiannisK said:

@markaussie can you tell which data you exported from Store Manager and the way you imported after upgrade? I'm currently trying to upgrade 1.6->1.7 and it's a chaos from the errors I'm getting. I also have the paid version of Store Manager

I want to know as well, thx in advanced.