Showing top categories in tablet mode

If you're talking about hamburger menu, search for hidden-sm-down in prestashop17/themes/classic/assets/css/theme.css file

you'll see something like

@media (min-width:768px){.hidden-md-up{display:none!important[spam-filter]

this means that if screen width > 768 hide the menu. Removing the display:none!important will not hide the menu.

Well I don't know what do you want to achieve, but I think the answers are in the css file.

Basically if you want to have the same behavior on tablet as the one in mobile you just play with css @media . See what css is applied to mobile( lower width like 480px or 360px) and apply that to tablet (width : 768px +)

Another alternative is to delete all css from @media (min-width:768px) and increase the min-widh from mobile to tablet width . This way you'll basically have a mobile and desktop mode (without tablet) - see @media (min-width:768px)  and @media (min-width:992px)

In other words mobile resolution rules will be for higher resolutions like tablets.

Hope this makes sense to you. 

PS. make sure you backup your file first, just in case.

This is not a good solution for me, because I need mobile, tablet and desktop versions. 

{function name="menu" nodes=[] depth=0 parent=null}

Maybe you know what that 'nodes' is ? And where it is being created? I noticed that it is used in other modules too. But I dont get how this line of code works..