[1.7] Cannot install any module via FTP

Hello there,

I tried to find a solution to this problem. I install one Prestashop 1.7 (last version) and when I upload a new module in the folder /modules by using FTP, I can't see it. 

It's working when I'm using the backoffice to upload it. Problem is I can't upload my own theme modules... 

If you have any ideas ! 

Thank you,

GJ

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 6:17 PM, ndiaga said:

Hi,

It's  a common problem. You have to zip and upload the file via admin.

With the 1.6 , only uploading the files via FTP  makes it visible but with 1.7  it seems not  to work.

This is 2018 and it looks like this problem has not been fixed yet. This is basic. Prestashop should let us know if this is no longer possible to install through FTP rather than spending hours on this thinking the problem is with us.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/13/2020 at 8:22 AM, JBW said:

Installing via FTP should be no problem:

1. Upload the module folder into /modules on FTP
2. Go to Module Catalog in BO, find the module there and install

No, it doesn't work. I can't see any module which is not installed. Only active or deactivated. And no way to find it.... (Presta 1.7.7.0)

• 1 month later...

Thanks, this works perfectly !

1- upload the module files into /modules (upload directly the files, not the .zip)

2- Go to BO > Modules > Modules Catalog

3- type a search word into the search bar

4- your module appears as "Free", click to the Install button to install!

• 8 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 7:21 AM, JBW said:

Check "Module-Catalog", not "Module-Manager" :)

Generally speaking I think there should be done something about tested, accepted & working solutions on the various issues we have to deal with, when working with prestashop- like this one for example. These should somehow stand out from the rest, like pinned on the top - with a numbers of votes counter on them.  I mean sometimes it is good and intuitive to read the whole conversation between members but most of the times this is not the case...

Of course the definite prerequisite is that people vote on the solution kindly offered to them..🙂

Just my two cents on this matter..

Merry X-mas everybody!

1 hour ago, mono1 said:

Of course the definite prerequisite is that people vote on the solution kindly offered to them..🙂

In these times people, Users are used to test Software. There are exceptions to that rule. New managers often bring new measures, if matured or not.

Merry Xmas to you too ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I'm reopening this old thread because the "trick" summarized by @CarolineinTo does not work anymore in PS 1.7.8.10 since there's no search bar in Modules Catalog even if you disable the connection to the Addons (by disabling the module "PrestaShop Marketplace in your Back Office"), so there's no way to "search" for your uploaded module, or at least I didn't find one.

The official page in Prestashop Addons says that the module uploaded via FTP should appear in the modules list (https://addons.prestashop.com/en/content/13-installing-modules) but as far as I know it has never happened.

Any suggestion?

Thanks for your time,
Federica

Hi! Ensure your FTP credentials are correct and that you have the necessary permissions. Check your server logs for any error messages during the installation attempt. If problems persist, consider reaching out to the module developer or your hosting provider for assistance.

4 hours ago, fedesib said:

The problem is not uploading the modules via FTP, the problem is that once you uploaded it, it doesn't show up in the modules list in the backoffice and there's no way to search for it.

The problem is that prestashop does not work like that. You upload the module over the backend. Just go to modules and upload the module zipped.

Edited by Nickz (see edit history)

On 12/8/2023 at 2:01 PM, fedesib said:

Hi @Baptist

the problem is not uploading the modules via FTP, the problem is that once you uploaded it, it doesn't show up in the modules list in the backoffice and there's no way to search for it.

Have a nice day
Federica

Hi @fedesib Certainly! It appears there's trouble finding an uploaded module in PrestaShop 1.7.8.10 after disconnecting from Addons. While a suggested workaround involving the search bar doesn't work due to its absence in the Modules Catalog, the official PrestaShop Addons page states that uploaded modules should appear in the list, which hasn't been the case for this user. There seems to be a discrepancy between expected and actual behavior, potentially requiring further investigation or assistance from PrestaShop support for resolution.

Edited by Baptist (see edit history)

Hi,

This problem is quite annoying. Yes, it's nice to have the modules you use the most appear first, but not being able to view uninstalled modules in the list of modules is really a mistake, in my opinion.

On the other hand, all you have to do is go to the Modules Catalog section and do a search using the name or simply the first letters of the directory name of the module you've just uploaded via FTP, then it will appear and you'll be able to launch its installation and configuration.

This procedure irritated me so much that I integrated the option to install, uninstall, delete, download the archive of a module directly into my module, enabling me to clean up a PrestaShop installation of outdated or unwanted data.

• Like 1

Hi @Mediacom87

thanks for your polite answer.

1 hour ago, Mediacom87 said:

On the other hand, all you have to do is go to the Modules Catalog section and do a search using the name or simply the first letters of the directory name of the module you've just uploaded via FTP, then it will appear and you'll be able to launch its installation and configuration.

This was exactly what I was doing successfully before PS 1.7.8.x versions (it is extremely handy to install modules by uploading your files directly in the /modules folder while you are developing your own). My problem with PS 1.7.8.10 is that there's no such search bar anymore in the Modules Catalog section.

If you have "PrestaShop Marketplace in your Back Office" enabled you can only search in the Addons (not useful in my case), if you have it disabled here's what you see (or what I see at least):

immagine.png.0d09ac19505ccc04b410c630d3756617.png

The other Tab (Modules Selection) shows only Addons Modules and using the search bar redirects to Addons pages:

immagine.png.f54628d09e7a6328527ff33c87237e4d.png

The "old" search bar that permitted to look for modules in the /modules folder and showed the ones you uploaded as free has somewhat disappeared in PS 1.7.8.x versions: as far as I remember it was there in versions 1.7.6.x, I cannot remember about 1.7.7.x versions.

If you have any suggestion, code patch or any workaround I will be more than glad to test it.

Thanks for your time,
Federica

I don't know how to answer you, I don't have any modules linked between Addons and my store, yet I do have access to the module catalog and can easily search for the modules I've uploaded to my FTP.

Of course, the module code must be compatible with your version of PrestaShop and there must be no errors in the module in question.

@Mediacom87

Thank you for your answer and for your time.

I finally solved it: I had to completely uninstall (and not only disable) the "PrestaShop Marketplace in your Back Office" module (ps_mbo) that comes installed by default on the new PS 1.7.8.10 -> This gave me back the "old" Modules Catalog page with the search bar and everything instead of the error page and my custom module shows up as it should.

Thanks again and have a good day,
Federica