Using cron jobs in a module to scheduled mail sending to clients, how would you do?

Firstly, sorry for my inproper english.

I was given the task to add a function to an existing module, which purpose would be to send scheduled emails to clients. This modul is the API for a adminsitration mobile app for prestashop as i understand it. So basicly make a function what the mobile app can use to set the time when to send and the content.

Link to the api : https://github.com/pintawebware/prestashop-mobile-admin/releases

I searched a lot and it seems it could be done with cron jobs, but for that i would need cron job module or using a webhost cron job service which i think it would make the thing too complicated. ( requiring from the users of this app to installing the admin module (already needed), than cron job mudule, set it up etc.) and even if it would ok this way, then the other thing that concern me is that the admin module would be too dependent on the cron job module. So if the cron job module would became buggy or some other reason it would not work then this admin module would be unusable too. At least for the email sending.

Im very new to this module development. Is it okay to make a module this dependent of other modules? Maybe an other way to send scheduled mails? How would you do this task if you were me?

Thanks for your patience.