Theme not changing

Hello

I created a new them by mkdir new , then copy all files from default to new cuz I want to see how it happens.

Then I got backoffice/admin panel -> Preferences > Appearance

I found that new theme i created, the default radio selected is the "default" theme, When u try to select the new them and press "Save" button, nothing happens, the theme selectd stays at the default.

im running PS 0.9.5.2.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem... I'm still in PS 1.1.0.5

Lemme try upgrading and see if that helps..

You guys should make an auto upgrade feature like wordpress where it upgrades automatically when you press the "upgrade" button. :D

It keeps being stuck on "prestashop" theme.

After I removed the theme, now it remains stuck without using a theme and i can't make it use any of the other remaining themes.

I get this message:
"Current theme unavailable. Please check your theme directory name and permissions."

Something must be preventing Prestashop from updating settings.inc.php. Check the permissions of the config folder and config/settings.inc.php. They should be chmod 755 and chmod 644 respectively, or chmod 777 for older servers (though that's bad for security). If you still can't change the theme, you'll have to download and manually edit config/settings.inc.php and change the value of '_THEME_NAME' to the directory of the theme your want to be used.

Thanks rocky, that worked.

There should be some type of error message that will tell the user the file couldn't be written to and that he needs to change the permissions.

Also, a much BETTER and SAFER way to save these settings would be in the database in a table for settings.

On my server, i have to chmod it to 777. I also had to chmod other folders like /img, /modules, and /main, etc to 777 so presta can use them.

Someone can change my files at their own discretion if they want, right?

Also, all my product images are broken after update! Any idea why?

Well, the database settings can't be in the database, otherwise Prestashop wouldn't be able to connect to the database, but the rest of the settings could be in the database. Yes, chmod 777 permissions means that anyone can change your files, which is not good, but if chmod 755 permissions don't work for you, then you'll have to use chmod 777, or upgrade to a server that lets Prestashop write with chmod 755 permissions.

What version of Prestashop did you upgrade from and what version did you upgrade to? Are you using friendly URLs? Is so, you'll need to regenerate your .htaccess file. Go to Tools > Generators and click "Generate .htaccess file".

Yeah, that's what i meant, the rest of the settings (like theme, etc) but database settings would remain in the file.

Cool, thanks Rocky!! That fixed the problem! The images work now after re-generating the .htaccess files. wooooo!!!!

Time to get my store rockin'!!

• 1 year later...

Im testing 1.5 beta

Hi there I have this problem on localhost, and i don't know how to "Check the permissions of the config folder" ect... any chance somebody could explain what I have to do?

Thanks

Holly

Found how to do it...

I just changed the authorisations on these files and on the whole folder to "everybody" but its still not working for me....

I don't have "_THEME_NAME" in config/settings.inc.php by default

When I try to add define('_THEME_NAME_', '/prestashop/themes/prestashop-christmas-theme-2011'); for exemple or any other theme i get :

Thème actuel indisponible. Merci de vérifier le répertoire de votre thème ou ses permissions. on the front end

I checked the permissions they are fine.

When Iook in the Back Office > Modules > Themes no theme is selected, when i select one it goes back to default, and changes the settings.inc.php taking out the '_THEME_NAME_' so that means it has permissions to change it just fine.

I thought maybe the themes were not compatible with the new version but i copied the default theme Prestashop-2 and it wont take it either.

I've run out of ideas to fix this !!

• 5 years later...