Comipile? Cache? Smart Cache? Use Cache?

My advice - DON'T use any cache at all, since it may show some short term results, but it will cause errors in the cart, when ordering, when customers try to log in, etc.

I tried every possibility, the only let's say positive side is that the page loads faster, but only after it has been loaded once by the visitor.

Just set all cache to NO, clear the cache and use some tools like gtmetrix.com or Google PageSpeed insights to tell you what you can do better on your website to make it load faster. It will tell you what images are too large, what javascript is blocking page from rendering, what css can be merged...

Big no to Presta cache from my experience.

Just my 5 cents, hope it hepls.

• Like 2

My advice - DON'T use any cache at all, since it may show some short term results, but it will cause errors in the cart, when ordering, when customers try to log in, etc.

I tried every possibility, the only let's say positive side is that the page loads faster, but only after it has been loaded once by the visitor.

Just set all cache to NO, clear the cache and use some tools like gtmetrix.com or Google PageSpeed insights to tell you what you can do better on your website to make it load faster. It will tell you what images are too large, what javascript is blocking page from rendering, what css can be merged...

Big no to Presta cache from my experience.

Just my 5 cents, hope it hepls.

Thanks very much, Bojanstven! I also have the felling that the better choice is not using any cache. What about the compilation? I think the most logical choice is "Never recompile template files". If I choose this option, do I need to "force compilation" once, if some file is changed, or the store get an update? Is it also necessary to clear the cache, in this case?

Edited by Jorge Aramuni (see edit history)

I highly recommend smarty cache to be enabled like this:

07.19.2017-10.09.png
https://www.screencast.com/t/v4bFxWNyKSS

This is most important performance feature within PrestaShop.  

For CCC I again recommend enabling these.  1.7 now has one CCC for all pages (css/js).  Post initial page load this significantly decreases subsequent page render times.

07.19.2017-10.10.png
https://www.screencast.com/t/huKISeB9NVs

Happy selling, el

• Like 1

I fully agree with El Patron. Not enabling smarty cache slows down significantly.

If, as in the 2nd reply stated, some features do not work, it's likly not to be a smarty cache problem. There is also a seoncd level cache which goes on filesystem or memcached, xcache or apc. These are webserver extensions with the exception for the first one: filesystem. This is the only cache I do not recommend to use.

Also note that every second attempt from a user will load faster. But this has almost nothing to do with the server but with the browsers cache. The browser requests only those files that are newer than the ones in the browsers cache. Most likly, the second load will not fetch CSS, JS or image resources. Hence, it's faster.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2017 at 5:13 PM, El Patron said:

I highly recommend smarty cache to be enabled like this:

07.19.2017-10.09.png
https://www.screencast.com/t/v4bFxWNyKSS

This is most important performance feature within PrestaShop.  

For CCC I again recommend enabling these.  1.7 now has one CCC for all pages (css/js).  Post initial page load this significantly decreases subsequent page render times.

07.19.2017-10.10.png
https://www.screencast.com/t/huKISeB9NVs

Happy selling, el

but is normally that after 2 days the site go down for the smarty cache that make full the space and i have to delete manually the compile,cache and img folders? thanks

let me throw this tip into the wind and see whose sails it catches.

when CCC of .js / .css is contemplated this is only beneficial when your CCC of either is same across all or most of the shop pages (new feature in 1.7)

you can test this by view source and check that your CCC of .js / .css have same file names.

when you have CCC of .js / .css that differes across pages then disable CCC for it.  Else you will be reloading the same .js across multiple pages. 

this will significantly increase you page render....this is usually issue with .js more than .css

7 minutes ago, El Patron said:

let me throw this tip into the wind and see whose sails it catches.

when CCC of .js / .css is contemplated this is only beneficial when your CCC of either is same across all or most of the shop pages (new feature in 1.7)

you can test this by view source and check that your CCC of .js / .css have same file names.

when you have CCC of .js / .css that differes across pages then disable CCC for it.  Else you will be reloading the same .js across multiple pages. 

this will significantly increase you page render....this is usually issue with .js more than .css

Another things. Do you know why i modified the global.css but the modified doesnt appaer to the customers if they dont delete the cache or made an hard refresh... How can i force de cache to recomoile the files? I tried everything with the cache options od prestashop but nothing works... Thanks

1 hour ago, vuoshino said:

Another things. Do you know why i modified the global.css but the modified doesnt appaer to the customers if they dont delete the cache or made an hard refresh... How can i force de cache to recomoile the files? I tried everything with the cache options od prestashop but nothing works... Thanks

did you clear your browser cache?  that is usually the issue.  try using incognito if not already done so

otherwise it's possible your change is incorrect.

14 minutes ago, El Patron said:

did you clear your browser cache?  that is usually the issue.  try using incognito if not already done so

otherwise it's possible your change is incorrect.

Yes the problem is that one. I clean my browser cache and force an hard refresh but the customers cabt do this things... How can i force the cache refresh on any customers browser?

18 hours ago, vuoshino said:

Yes the problem is that one. I clean my browser cache and force an hard refresh but the customers cabt do this things... How can i force the cache refresh on any customers browser?

open new topic, you can pm me link but your question is off topic...this way community with same/similar issue as yours can help...now you making a mess in here lol

This is the link

On 5/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, El Patron said:

then you post did not have enough info, that is always why post does not get response....going off topic in other post is not good practice and you did not send me link to that post, so follow all instucitons.

This is the link of the post. Thanks