How to sell for free - without charging any fee

Hello,

Please I need help. I just installed Prestashop 1.7 for the first time to allow people buy my books. I also want people to download virtual products for free. The problem is people cannot complete checkout for the free virtual product if no payment method is chosen. How can I bypass payment and allow them download the product immediately after checkout?

If I choose Bankwire (the only option), I can checkout but I will have to go to admin to change order status to "payment confirmed" before the download is emailed.

Can someone kindly help?

Regards,

Olubunmi

PS 1.6 had a built in "Free Order" payment module, which allowed a customer to checkout with selecting a payment module.

Unfortunately this appears to be yet another perfectly fine working feature that was removed from PS v1.7.  My first thought for you, would be to create a forge ticket and request that they add this feature back.  however I suspect you will never see that feature added.

Now you could create a payment module, or modify the bankwire module to fit your needs, but the problem I see is that when the order is free, the following should happen

1) Your other payment modules should be hidden when the order total is 0.00

2) This free order payment module should only appear when the order total is 0.00, and it should be hidden otherwise

The ideal solution is to restore the behavior that used to exist, but that is likely going to be more difficult than its worth. 

If you are familiar with php coding, you could update the bankwire module so that it uses the 'payment accepted' order status when creating the new order, that is a fairly easy change.  You would then want to hide the bankwire module when the order total is greater than zero.

I don't know if you use other payment modules, but you would likely want to hide them when the order total is zero

Lastly, if you are looking for paid services to help you solve this problem, feel free to contact me via my website.

https://www.bellini-services.com/shop/contact-us

Hi Bellini13,

I appreciate your recommendation. I am bit familiar with PHP so I went into Bankwire and commented the request for bankwire payment. However, it came up with error message that checkout cannot be completed because no payment option was chosen. It then grayed out the completion.

Is there a way to make prestashop shop to continue with checkout to complete transaction if no payment option is chosen?

Thanks for your help.

Olubunmi

Is there a way to make prestashop shop to continue with checkout to complete transaction if no payment option is chosen?

Not using v1.7

I was pretty clear in what I outlined.  In PS v1.7, there is no longer a "Free payment module" in the Core of Prestashop. 

Hello Bellini13,

Thanks. I got it that it is absent from v1.7. What I was hoping to get help from now is how to know where in the program one can make the checkout to continue after disabling payment option for free sale. My experience now is that after disabling payment option for free sale, the checkout also disables ability to continue to finish the free sales.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Olubunmi

As I stated in my original reply, you would need to create a payment module that would allow the customer to choose the "Free" or "No Payment Required" payment method.  And you would only show this payment method if the order total is zero.

The alternative is to attempt to restore the "Free Order" feature in the Core code of Prestashop, but that is going to take a lot of time and research to determine if it is possible or not.  My guess is that it was removed intentionally because of complication or difficulty.