Taxes only in my State

vm0824

Hello,

How can I configure taxes to only apply for customers in my state?

I have all taxes disabled except for "Sales-Tax US-NJ 7%". I have all tax rules disabled and then create one called "Tax Rule NJ Only". In this tax rule I created, I configure one entry as:
Country = USA

State = NJ

ZipCode = 0

Behavior = Combine

Tax = "Sales-Tax US-NJ 7%"

Description = NJ Tax.

I have this tax rule set in every product.

The problem is that when a customer goes to my site without logging in, it displays that they owe sales tax. This customer may be from any state at this point and thus it is unfair to say that they should pay sales tax in NJ. It seems all customers are getting 7% sales tax, whereas I would like for ONLY NJ residents to pay sales tax and the rest are 0%.

Please help!

Ok so I have been trying a few more things. I found that if I am not signed in, and I add an item to my cart, I see NJ taxes even though I could be from anywhere. If I go to checkout, in step 1 I STILL see the taxes. But during step 2, I enter my address as any state except NJ and FINALLY the taxes go away.

So it appears the prestashop is defaulting to apply my tax rules for NJ without any address being added. But, once an address is explicitly added during step 2 of checkout, it corrects itself. By then, I usually have an abandoned cart.

Is there a way to default to NO TAXES until finally we get to step 2 of checkout and confirm that the addresses meet the NJ requirements in the tax rule?

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...