Prestashop Vs Wordpress

Hello everyone,

After using Prestashop for 3 years I made a website using Wordpress and my thoughts on Prestashop have got to a really low level in terms of everything. Worpress is so much modern and aesthetic that allows you to do so many things and changes with really no money...

Can anyone point to the issues where Prestashop is better than Wordpress?

I am really curious about this...

Prestashop is primarily an ecommerce platform, that has be made to work as a CMS/blog platform

Wordpress is primarily a CMS/Blog platform, that can be made to function like an ecommerce platform.

What exactly are you trying to build?

Hi, it is not that I am trying to build nothing specific, it is that if wordpress allows you to make great and numerous designs and your web looks prettier, while you can make it ecommerce with woocommerce, then I am wondering in which cases prestashop could be a better option than wordpress. For prettiness wordpress is much better and this is a huge factor..

ok, then feel free to use wordpress.

Hello, so if you that you are an expert in using prestashop cannot point to an advantage over wordpress, then I am wondering about what is reason why the rest of us have started to use prestashop. Maybe out of ignorance? This is really worrying now!

Hello, so if you that you are an expert in using prestashop cannot point to an advantage over wordpress, then I am wondering about what is reason why the rest of us have started to use prestashop. Maybe out of ignorance? This is really worrying now!

I'm not a pro or anything near it but I can point at a few reasons why I decided Prestashop was the way to go. Compared to Wordpress Prestashop installations are usually lighter (at least the ones I've worked with) which means faster sites and less server stress. Another thing that I thought was much better with PS is the back end. If ecommerse is your main focus then the back end in PS is so much easier to work with than WP. 

Also when it comes to design I can agree that it's easier to work with Wordpress, however it's absolutely possible to make great looking ecommerse sites in PS without much programming knowledge or time. There are a lot of great themes out there for $60-$80.

And my last point would be to point out that PS has a lot more functions out of the box than Wordpress and WooCommerse. You clearly see that PS is made for ecommerse and that WP is made for blogs/homepages.

• Like 1

After playing with wordpress and woocommerce for a couple of days, this is my verdict:

Wordpress is great on customization and beauty, but it needs woocommerce to create a shop and a few workarounds after this, so prestashop is more for ecommerce (with a paid theme it can make prettiness too, but not as customizable as wocommerce).

Bad about woocommerce: only 2 free currencies, languages with free polylang plugin need to create page one by one after clicking on the connecting link for each page and it cannot really connect products in different languages). The better plugin needs a yearly fee of 35usd and 70 to start and obviously this is with no pretest so I cannot confirm how good or bad it is. Products need to be manually connected to the category shop that needs to be created to link to the shop page created. After this, lots of hustles to change language when viewing products.

So prestashop is better when using ecommerce Multilanguage and multicurrency, wordpress better when using no ecommerce and wordpress with woocommerce better for ecommerce when using no more than 2 currencies and only one language, or just setting one or two products or checkouts using paypal html or any other html integration. If the paid plugin for multilingual/multicurrency does wonders then maybe woocommerce is better on everything, but you have to pay to find out...

Edited by HH Services Limited (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have started using the Panda Prestashop theme and it is wonderful. Many options for design and lots of great modules. Excellent service as well. You can create CMS pages with products in them and their blog module is great. Also integrates with instagram, facebook etc as well.

Using a theme is the best way to go to make the store look great.

I have also read that Prestashop can scale well whereas using wordpress plus woocommerce slows down the more products you have. So if you only have a few products and do not expect many sales, I would go with a website (I prefer Joomla over WordPress) and embed a shopping cart such as Ecwid. However, if you expect more sales or have more products, I would use Prestashop for sure.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

We use both. Wordpress for websites and Prestashop for E-Commerce.

If we would think about a very small store, Wordpress could be an option with some additional plugins.

As soon as it would scale to some thousand products or customers, I cannot imagine wordpress to run smoothly enough.

• Like 1

Prestashop is product oriented. CMS in it is really an afterthought. My thoughts on it were never high and from technical perspective it's..well like every second php project. The 1.7 seems little better, but it's still not there.. I would prefer it when:

-i need multilanguage

-i need multistore

-the shop is classical catalog/product page shop

Wordpress is article oriented. I like the feature, that you can easily add a product buy widget into the article. I use it when I need to implement something like simple blog with buy products button or shop with a small amount of products or a product presentation with buy etc. The technical side is just different but also lacking, but not that bad. At least you can find good documentation.

• Like 1