Upgrade to 1.7 benefits?

I'm going to do some research later but I figured maybe I could save some time by just asking.

I have a store using 1.6.1.9. I'm generally happy with it. Performance is good since I moved hosting to VPS. 

I have some third-party modules but I think all are now available for 1.7 and paying for upgrades is not a problem.

With all that said -- how difficult on a scale of 1 to 10 would upgrading to 1.7 be?

What would be the main advantages?

from a merchant's perspective, there is little to no reason to upgrade to PS v1.7.  There are no features that you would take advantage of, and infact plenty have been removed with the expectation that you would purchase modules or have to customize your store to replace them.

I would suggest you stick with the PS v1.6 line, you could upgrade to PS v1.6.1.14 if you wanted to.  You could read the change log to see whats actually been changed, and determine if they impact you.

Thank you. Not upgrading is less work so I guess staying with 1.6 is the way to go.

I'll look at the change log for 1.6.1.14. I didn't realize there had been new versions of 1.6. I modified some core files so even upgrading 1.6 is a pain so unless there is anything relevant in the change log I won't be in any rush.