Is there any drawback/disadvantage/danger in upgrading 1.6.x to 1.7.x manually?

Basically I know manual upgrades and successfully upgraded 1.3.x shops to 1.6.x.

With the upgrade module still being in beta, I tend to use a manual upgrade on one client - as we do not want to create two themes (one for 1.6 now and one for 1.7 in about a year...).

So is there any possible danger in doing a manual upgrade following the manual upgrade routine by executing install/upgrade/upgrade.php and doing all the other things manually?

Reference: https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/612118-when-upgrade-to-17-and-how/?p=2562384

• 4 weeks later...

i have used the autoupgrade module to upgrade many stores to PS v1.6 numerous times, and the only times I ever face issues are on hosting servers that have restrictions on resources.  With that said, the manual upgrade process would fail just as well on those servers.

As jetx said, just clone the store so you have an exact copy (aka test store), and then run the upgrade on the test store to ensure things work properly.  Rinse and repeat until you are happy.  Then run the upgrade on the live store following the same steps