How can I figure out hosting plan suitable for my site

iraghib

Hello, I'm setting up my prestashop and I'm going to host it on one of the recommended prestashop hosting providers. The hosting providers have many hosting plans: several plans for shared, several plans for VPS and several plans for dedicated. I am going to be setting up a fashion retail store so at this stage I don't have a clue about the amount of traffic I will be serving. So my question is really to ask what are the typical benchmarks that can guide me to figure out the memory, CPU, storage requirements for my site. I understand that this will depend on my catalog size, cart size, orders per hour, ...etc but I'm looking for benchamrks that can at least guide me to figure out if I need to start with 512 MB of memory or if a minimum of 2 GB is needed or if I need 16 GB of memory. I just need to start my site with a reasonable hosting plan but at the same time one that wouldn't be too pricey with capacity that isn't necessary for my amount of traffic. Any guidelines from past experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I would go with a basic/starter shared hosting plan so that you can just get the shop up and running, promote it and get some visitors.  You can always migrate your store to a different provider, or upgrade your hosting plan later to satisfy demand.

I would stay away from a dedicated server at this point, and VPS is likely overkill for you now as well. 

Thanks for your reply. I still don't want to go live with a plan that would literally crash with the first 10-20 concurrent users browsing my site. So I'd like to learn from the community what others have learnt in terms of relating the memory and CPU requirements in correspondence to traffic load. For example I am looking for real examples of a prestashop that supports X number of concurrent users that is running on a plan that gives X amount of memory and X amount of CPU power.