Top Sellers block is empty: No best sellers at this time

I disabled all the stats modules to improve performance. I then enabled the Top Sellers module because I acctually want that one. I have it set to show even when empty, so the block is showing up, but it says "No best sellers at this time."

Honestly I can't remember whether it was working before. This is on a store I migrated from other software, populated fully with customers, orders and products.

The ps_product_sale table is empty. Is that the right one? How do I re-populate it?

Are there any other modules I need to enable for it to work? I tried enabling all the below.

Best-selling products
Catalog statistics
Data mining for statistics
Product details
Stats dashboard

In the stats dashboard, I can view "best selling products" and it shows them.

Ok, I'll check it out!

So is the problem that the built in best sellers module only records best sellers as the sales happen and saves it in the ps_products_sale table, and it isn't designed to analyze the orders tables? Or is there a way to seed it with all the data?

That table is filled by Prestashop core, that module only reads the data. To fill the table you would need to make a quite complex SQL query to analyze all the orders and get data for that table. Prestashop bestsellers module does not analyze orders, it only relies on that table.