Prestashop Sucks!

I am so sick and tired of Prestashop.

I run a collectible diecast store and many of my product titles have # signs in them. Well guess what, Prestashop doesn't allow it! I enter in the product and save it and it erases all my data because it's not supported and I forget! This is a time drain and a real pain in the ass!

If you're thinking about using Prestashop, I advise going against it! My future sites won't be using Prestashop but instead I will go back to Magento!

• Like 2

To allow # all you need to do is to remove the # sign in Validate.php isCatalogName function:

public static function isCatalogName($name)
    {
        return preg_match(Tools::cleanNonUnicodeSupport('/^[^<>;=#{}]*$/u'), $name);
    }

Or create a simple override as described here.

So start looking for solutions, stop complaining.

• Like 4

@ dalexander - The reason why Prestashop does not allow #, is a security reason.In html/php this character specifies an "Anchor"/"fragment identifier", or a position on the page, and allows you to "jump" or "scroll" to that position on the page. However, nowadays it's usually used with AJAX-based pages since changing the hash can be detected using JavaScript and allows you to use the back/forward button without actually triggering a full page reload.

Here you can learn more about characters (Safe, unsafe, reserved) in URL's: https://perishablepress.com/stop-using-unsafe-characters-in-urls/

Well, you want a software with security issues only for that it is allowed to add hashes ? Perhaps, I didn't explained it on my previous post: Hashes in URL are not allowed, because you can execute scripting from the URL and hack software/servers !

Personally I prefer to use a software without security risks, and this is also why Prestashop doesn't sucks, but users without know-how not knowing what is behind of this "not allow"

BTW I don't understand why you want to use hashes in the URL. Serps ignore fragment identifiers, so there is also no surplus for SEO purposes.

• Like 1

I never had a problem with Magento outside the fact that it's bloated and requires more server resources. I was able to use # signs on Magento but that was back in 2008.

I'm too an ex Magento user. Changed from Magento to Prestashop, but in 2009, so years ago. I never will go back. Prestashop is my preferred choice. BTW, why do you want to have hashes in URL ? Simply cannot follow why you want to open security lacks (DOM XSS scripting) on your software and server.

On Post #2 Daresh named you the way, if you really want to add hashes ! I think that in meantime also with Magento you will need to adapt the core. From what I remember Magento had by default problems with special characters (for ex. Greek and Arabic), this was never the case for Prestashop.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 23/4/2017 at 12:54 PM, selectshop.at dice:

BTW I don't understand why you want to use hashes in the URL. Serps ignore fragment identifiers, so there is also no surplus for SEO purposes.

Is not exactly true... try to search for:

30 ferrari diecast

and for:

#30 ferrari diecast

The results are (not so much) different. Take a look to the number of results too.

And he didn't  ask for hashes in the URL but in the product TITLE.

Edited by godlo (see edit history)

5 hours ago, godlo said:

Is not exactly true... try to search for:

30 ferrari diecast

and for:

#30 ferrari diecast

The results are (not so much) different. Take a look to the number of results too.

And he didn't  ask for hashes in the URL but in the product TITLE.

You are right. But in product title you can add what you want. In URL you can't use hashes. Simply change meta-title manually for these products.

Taking your example, there is no hash in URL but in title, and this is also possible with Prestashop. Try by following the sample below. You will have same result of your sample when you inspect product with apropriate SEO tool:

URL.thumb.png.5ece4810ed947f42c8853ee49713ef47.png

Name = URL and not necessary TITLE of the product in Prestashop. TITLE for products you can change on tab SEO and there you of course can use #.

titel.thumb.png.135f35575eb966c039a77c44a03812d9.png

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/22/2017 at 7:33 PM, dalexander said:

I am so sick and tired of Prestashop.

I run a collectible diecast store and many of my product titles have # signs in them. Well guess what, Prestashop doesn't allow it! I enter in the product and save it and it erases all my data because it's not supported and I forget! This is a time drain and a real pain in the ass!

If you're thinking about using Prestashop, I advise going against it! My future sites won't be using Prestashop but instead I will go back to Magento!

Totaly true every upgrade is a nightmare

• 1 year later...

Il y a 7 minutes, stifler97 disait :

Cela cause des problèmes de sécurité. Je me demande pourquoi les gens font cela. Où diable un simple client recherche ce signe # dans un site web ? Cela n'a aucun sens !

There are businesses such as mechanics or hydraulics or special characters are important in product research

1 minute ago, Polylight said:

There are businesses such as mechanics or hydraulics or special characters are important in product research

I did not know that some people actually need to use that characters. So the best is to override that method of validation. But this will be specific to your shop.

• Like 1