[SOLVED] Friendly URLs & IIS/Windows Server

Hello

I have installed Prestashop on a Windows server with IIS and can see from a lot of the responses that this isn't an ideal situation for running friendly URLs.

I have added the Ionics Re-Writer, switched on Friendly URLs and generated the .htaccess file via Prestashop.

I understand that this generated .htaccess file won't work with Windows & at the moment when I click on a link it goes to the friendly URL in the title bar (e.g. http://mydomain.com/12-4-tier-nappy-cakes) but stays on the home page.

Has anyone else come across / overcome this? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In case this helps anyone else - I now have it working using the Helicon ISAPI Rewrite Module (http://www.isapirewrite.com/) server license ($95) and the following .htaccess file:

# Helicon ISAPI_Rewrite configuration file
# Version 3.1.0.69

# URL rewriting module activation
RewriteEngine on

# URL rewriting rules
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.html(.*)$ product.php?id_product=$2$4 [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)\.html(.*)$ product.php?id_product=$1$3 [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ category.php?id_category=$1 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^content/([0-9]+)\-([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ cms.php?id_cms=$1 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)__([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ supplier.php?id_supplier=$1$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)_([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(.*)$ manufacturer.php?id_manufacturer=$1$3 [QSA,L]

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Make a backup of the original .htaccess. Then enable friendly url and generate .htaccess in prestashop. Download the newly generated .htaccess to your local machine. Go IIS 7 and under url rewrite import htaccess from yoyr local machine following this link http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/470/importing-apache-modrewrite-rules/

Make sure to overwrite .htaccess with backup copy. It is working on mine www.partydrinksgh.com

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Webonator, I could not get PS 1.5.2.0 to work with IIS url rewrite 2.0. I finally moved to Helicon Rewrite 3.0. I'm glad I did. It works directly with the .htaccess file. So no need to import every time it updates. This will solve problems for other applications that use .htaccess as well. You can try a free 45 day trial here http://www.heliconte...pi_rewrite3.htm The automated msi installation does everything for you and it works. Also, windows related, check if prestashop\config\settings.inc.php is set to Localhost. If it is you can get a major speed boost by setting it to 127.0.0.1

Edited by Bill Dalton (see edit history)

Yeah I see what you are saying. Personally I own my own server. That is the cheapest way I can have a server with an i5 Intel CPU, 32GB of ram, and sata 6 512GB SSD with a roomy 4 TB backup running Server 2012.

Prestashop runs pretty good on this system!

With all of the above we are under 1500.00. Server software including email server 1500.00. Add in my UPS Battery Backup system, the cost jumps to $4000.00.

High speed business cable with 5 ip's cheaper than renting from Godaddy and if anthing goes wrong I don't have to deal with their support.

I'm all about cost and getting the best for my money. I look at Helicon Rewrite 3.0 as an addition to my server. Using the free IIS url rewrite has been a constant hassle. From Wordpress to shopping carts. I don't know what your time is worth, but buying a solution that solves this problem and will solve your problems down the road is the way to go.

I don't think you are cheap. :D

I think you are tired of spending money trying to get PS to be what you want it to be. In this case your other option is to not use friendly URLS with PS 1.5.2.0. And In my opinion, Google and Bing don't care anymore. I really don't believe that Friendly URL's are necessary now.

Edited by Bill Dalton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Bill

Thank you for your reply. I understand that Helicon Rewrite 3.0 is a once off purchase and It is most probably something I will have to purchase.

I think it is still necessary to have friendly urls for SEO in highly competitive instances but agree with you that in many cases it is not required if products are not removed/added frequently.

I appreciate your time and assistance.

Cheers for now.