Upgrade 1.6 to 1.7

Hi

I am aware there are a couple of posts on the upgrade process from 1.6 to 1.7 however I wanted to start a new thread to document the process I have tried so far for anyone who may follow me.

I am trying to upgrade an instance from 1.6.0.14 to 1.7.0.6. I have built a new theme for 1.7 and just want to bring forward all my data from 1.6. Mainly Products, Cats, Customers and Orders.

First I tried using the 1-click upgrade (which i upgraded to its current newest version). There is no option to upgrade straight to 1.7 so I downloaded 1.7.0.6 to admin/autoupgrade/latest/prestashop and ran an update using the local directory option.

I have tried installing in steps and with debug on and off but the error is always the same. Once the files have been update and I arrive to update the database the following error is presented:

All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Internal Server Error " jqXHR: " "

I get this every time and cannot get any further.

I have tried to upgrade the database manually using the upgrade sql files in install/upgrade/sql (replacing PREFIX_ with my db prefix). This gave me many different errors and came up as a no go. I imagine this might be the same reason that the Internal Server Error is being generated.

Then I had a chat with some friendly people on the prestashop Gitter chat.

They recommended using the following pull request:

https://github.com/PrestaShop/autoupgrade/pull/49#partial-pull-merging

Used on the repo here:

https://github.com/Softizy/autoupgrade

I uninstalled and removed the default autoupdate modules and installed this one. Again same failure.

I have also managed to update to 1.6.1.11 using the 1-click upgrade (with no errors) and then tried the update, same issue.

Looking at my php logs i can see i get the error when I upgrade to 1.7 when I try and update the database step.

[13-Mar-2017 19:33:08 Europe/Paris] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined method Tools::unSerialize() in (/path toadminfolder)/autoupgrade/latest/prestashop/install/upgrade/php/ps1700_stores.php on line 36

I am not sure how to remedy this. (the function exists in classes/Tools.php)

Anyway lots of attempts no success.

Finally I was recommended this add on. Which I may try next as I cannot think of anything else that might work.

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/data-migration-backup/8934-migrationpro-prestashop-to-prestashop-migration-tool.html

I would rather upgrade manually rather that resorting to 3rd party add-ons however it seems not possible in this case untill the 1-click update is improved.

Any thoughts welcome?

Edited by hygap (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi

Yes, I ended up using the paid module and it did work. There were a few bugs which I spoke to the developer about that caused a few problems at first but they ultimately fixed them and sent me and updated version. So can recommend.

Overall the experience was fairly painful I must admit and I have been reluctant to update my other shops to 1.7 as of yet. I am planning on doing so later in the year as the updates to 1.7 seem like they might be stabilising the branch.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 8:04 PM, oh_prestashop said:

I've also considered to update our shop but it seems like the effort would be the same as migrating to an entirely different shop system.

Yep, this is the issue. I've recently created Magento 2 site as I don't see Presta 1.7 as being a viable upgrade anytime soon. So might as well see how the competition are doing.