Who has the fastest PS site?

philee

sweet, that is what I am talking about. :)

I am planning a fresh V1.7.1 with this stack:

- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- SSL
- PHP7
- (e)NGINx /w Apache
- Percona Server or MariaDB  - most likely Percona Server
- HHVM (Hip-Hop Virtual Machine)
- Varnish

- Memcached or Redis (Didn't see any stable Redis module so probably going with Memcached)
- Rijndael with mcrypt
- OPcache
- Cloudflare
- Server Side Minification (https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/MinifyResources)

Your thoughts?

sweet, that is what I am talking about. :)

I am planning a fresh V1.7.1 with this stack:

- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

- SSL

- PHP7

- (e)NGINx /w Apache

- Percona Server or MariaDB  - most likely Percona Server

- HHVM (Hip-Hop Virtual Machine)

- Varnish

- Memcached or Redis (Didn't see any stable Redis module so probably going with Memcached)

- Rijndael with mcrypt

- OPcache

- Cloudflare

- Server Side Minification (https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/MinifyResources)

Your thoughts?

Check out http://xtendweb.gnusys.net/index.html if you run cPanel on it. I think you could also do it without the CP installed. Not sure?

Thats not really a stack, it is just a bunch of software thrown together that likely does not work together. 

hhvm and php7 do the same thing. You can only use one or the other. If you use hhvm your site won't load because of the eval's used throughout the code. 

Honestly going through the list a lot of the things you have aren't needed and won't work together. If you use memcached it will slow your site to a crawl, that system has been broken in PrestaShop for years. Redis, there is a plugin, but there is only so much object caching you can do with a plugin. Varnish is not needed, especially if you are running nginx over top of apache, its your reverse proxy at that point. 

I would go with nginx, php7, maria, with opcache. Maybe use cloudflare for dns hosting, that is all. If you run that stack you can run http/2 without using a custom config openssl library. 

Don't run server side minification, its an old technology, its not used any more, look at mod_pagespeed, they discontinued it. It ate up too many resources and slowed servers down to where it was pointless. 

If you want to be easy about things look at cloudways. They have a nice cheap stack. The site I sent you was on a $9 a month vultr server. 

• Like 2

Generally they are good suggestions, but every site is different and some things can be done on some sites and others need other things done. You have to look at sites individually to figure out what best to do and what stack is best for the sites. 

• 4 weeks later...

It was not a private message, the site I posted above is running on cloudways with a redis caching server. You should be able to see their plans here, https://www.cloudways.com/en/?id=11188

I'm setting up a site on a Cloudways VULTR server using the fork you mentioned and it is certainly very fast. I have turned on Redis on Cloudways, do I have to configure anything within the app itself for Redis to be effective?

• 6 months later...

How many products do you have?

I have been working on a perfect (as close to perfect as possible for one of my client's sites) server setup for PS 1.7 for awhile now.

I have gotten to the point where I am at 890 milliseconds on the first homepage (cache empty) and 555 milliseconds on the second loading (cached).

My client has been bugging me to move from Magento for some time now and I have spent the past few months really trying to get as close to under a second as possible.

We are using Cloudways as well. I have it configured a little differently in Cloudways (compared to stock) and then I am utilizing a couple of other services.

Our shop has 1040 products and we are utilizing the Transformer theme.

I wanted to spend sometime writing up a good guide for others who are using a similar setup, but I am not 100% done yet.

If you are still interested, please let me know.

I know there are many other factors to PS that I do not fully understand and I am not a PS pro. Nowadays, I am an SEO consultant that specializes in SEO for non-traditional industries. I haven't built any sites in years. I took on this project more for the challenge. What I am trying to say is that I might be missing some other factors outside of Pingdom for speed testing, so this may not be accurate. But it was still fun to push PS 1.7 this far.

I just took this last test a second ago:

post-1362796-0-80877800-1507517864_thumb.png

I have been cloning and changing domains recently (waiting on an approval to change to the current Magento site's domain name), so I didn't want to give a URL that ended up going to nothing.

Thats not really a stack, it is just a bunch of software thrown together that likely does not work together. 

hhvm and php7 do the same thing. You can only use one or the other. If you use hhvm your site won't load because of the eval's used throughout the code. 

Honestly going through the list a lot of the things you have aren't needed and won't work together. If you use memcached it will slow your site to a crawl, that system has been broken in PrestaShop for years. Redis, there is a plugin, but there is only so much object caching you can do with a plugin. Varnish is not needed, especially if you are running nginx over top of apache, its your reverse proxy at that point. 

I would go with nginx, php7, maria, with opcache. Maybe use cloudflare for dns hosting, that is all. If you run that stack you can run http/2 without using a custom config openssl library. 

Don't run server side minification, its an old technology, its not used any more, look at mod_pagespeed, they discontinued it. It ate up too many resources and slowed servers down to where it was pointless. 

If you want to be easy about things look at cloudways. They have a nice cheap stack. The site I sent you was on a $9 a month vultr server.

Do you feel the same way about the newest PS 1.7.2 releases (in regards to not needing Varnish and Redis)?

Memcached is built into the Cloudways stack I have and I cannot turn it off (as far as I know). But do you think turning off Varnish and Redis will make a difference and speed up my site even more?

Thanks for the advice.