Presta is sucks !

Hello,

I am sorry if the title is rude but i have to admit : Presta is sux !

I have been spending money and time to build up a nice website like all other prestashop users.I paid for some modules and themes.

Then, after a while,newer version of prestashop has been published,as usual.

But i cannot upgrade prestashop to newer versions .I have been reading all forums to find key points about upgrading.

I am doing everything that it is written on the forum and wiki.

The results is just disappointment.

There are worse things as well.

Of course, i back upped " home directory ", "database" and "full back up" .

But none of them is work now.;

I try to load back up files, but this time there are errors on the front and back office such as the tabs of modules and payments dissapeared, some modules has been completeley deleted because of unknown reasons.

Lets think a new user who install presta 1.3.1 .He is probably pretty happy.He may buy a premium template, modules and spend time and money to make his website to well.

But after 1 years , when presta 1.5.1 is published, he will experience same problems with me.

I am trying to say, it is a vice versa .

PrestaShop is not smarty idea unless an easy-update fix is published.

You can think that i am an idiot so i failed to update.

But please read messages on the section of install and upgrade forums.You will see that eight of every ten messages is regarding unsuccesful update.Most users cannot update their shops.

I am not sure whether it can be done, but,unless there is an easy update patch or something so, it is really waste of time to make a website using prestahop.

New prestashop users will understand what i mean when they want to upgrade their shops.

Of course, i know that prestashop is a free software and doesnt offer any support .But i dont mention about support.I am just talking about a huge problem that should be fixed asap : Update

My aim is not slander prestashop.I just wanted to share my thought with the community.

Best regards.

Every upgrade error I've seen so far has been a "Duplicate key" error because PrestaShop v1.3 added indexes to make table rows unique for performance reasons. The solution is to remove duplicate rows from your database tables before doing an upgrade. I've already posted this issue on the bug tracker, but the PrestaShop team seem to have skipped over it. I'll send an email directly to the PrestaShop team. Hopefully, I'll get a response from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

In some points i agree. It's always a mind broken to update presta. I've updated my prestashop from version 1 to 1.3.1... Well in all updates i faced some issues that i has to resolve manually in modules, themes, etc...

Now, recentely i've updated my presta from 1.2.5 to 1.3.1 and i have a big issue that i cant resolve and i dont know why... The prices of products are shown correctely in product listing and categories, when you click on product and go to product page the price change to a wrong price and it no make any sense...

It happens in other currency that is not the default one, in default currency it works....

Well, i has some problems again in modules, but others have been fixed (like paypal payment error :S)

Hope someone do Presta More like Wordpress, easy to update withou theme and modules issues... In general, i think presta a good FREE solution but it needs some knowledge of programming to do everything right when update, or to change some things that it's always need...

Regards,

Mozack

Hi,

In some points i agree. It's always a mind broken to update presta. I've updated my prestashop from version 1 to 1.3.1... Well in all updates i faced some issues that i has to resolve manually in modules, themes, etc...

Now, recentely i've updated my presta from 1.2.5 to 1.3.1 and i have a big issue that i cant resolve and i dont know why... The prices of products are shown correctely in product listing and categories, when you click on product and go to product page the price change to a wrong price and it no make any sense...

It happens in other currency that is not the default one, in default currency it works....

Well, i has some problems again in modules, but others have been fixed (like paypal payment error :S)

Hope someone do Presta More like Wordpress, easy to update withou theme and modules issues... In general, i think presta a good FREE solution but it needs some knowledge of programming to do everything right when update, or to change some things that it's always need...

Regards,

Mozack

Does this happen in both the custom theme AND the default theme?

No, it only happens in custom theme!

But i spend a lot of time crating a custom theme for PrestaShop and now...

Well, about the problem i found the "error" is in product.js. Is i change the javascript file it works well with prices but now the add to cart animation gone and when someone add to cart a product it goes to cart page and dont load the animation...

It's a problem!

Thanks

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm new to prestashop .. but IT IS NOT WHAT IT PROMISES TO BE .. Modular structure? I can't use a basic module if I don't use default hookDisplayTop. And every programmer working online seems to think that editing MODULE_CORE/php files is ok ... HOW CAN I UPDATE THEN? XXX?
YOU SHOULD NEVER FORCE USERS TO EDIT BACKOFFICE FILES!

System speed ..  terrible .. this CCC makes prestashop websites work with decent speed, but for example: wordpress (I know it's a tough oponent, wordpress is the best in my opinion) is 5 times faster without any cache.

Another point .. documantaion.
What documantaion? I have no ide what functions and classes I use. Prestashop gives very little support there and their default tutorias made little sense and gave very little usability for me (though I see myself as a quite good programmer).

In my opinion: YOU NEED TO REWRITE BASICS: Make modules independent of themes, Let users do upgrades without breaking site themes.

THE FACT is that I can't compare prestashop to other e-commerce systems, Since as far as shopping goes it's the first CMS I have to use and it must do it's thing since my client whants to get just a fresh look, anyway ... what i found so far .. it's a pain in the ass to do anything You normally would need few functions for.

This page is not about my showreel so I'm not adding any links to show how cool I am, i write this to tell You why I XXXXHATE PRESTASHOP!

Well .. I wasn't ojective with my post, as far as I don't like prestashop, it's still a working system and as a programmmer I see all the points that can't be changed in 1.5.6 to 1.5.7 update .. it would require tons of extra work, but .. I would like to see You go that way!

Edited by El Patron
remove offensive languge (see edit history)

You can't compare wordpress with prestashop, because Wordpress need less functions to works, the system is more basic, so more basic, less functions, less process = more fast
You are right with the comment about that many modules need modify the core to work and think in update, is difficult.
But in general is a good option, all depend what exactly you need.

Regards.

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

You can't compare wordpress with prestashop, because Wordpress need less functions to works, the system is more basic, so more basic, less functions, less process = more fast

You are right with the comment about that many modules need modify the core to work and think in update, is difficult.

But in general is a good option, all depend what exactly you need.

Regards.

Hi Cotoko,

I think this topic is interesting.

I think Prestashop should be easier to use.

No excuse is to say that Prestashop is more complicated.

It's just my opinion.

---

I can not speak English, I used google translator.

--

Edited by Raul Martinez (see edit history)

We are very free here to voice our opinions, just watch cursing as there is a very strict policy against it.

Please however feel free to continue discussion.

my two cents,

each cms has it's advantages and disadvantages...try to create a cms that fit's everyone's needs is very difficult.  when we move into development...there is always a learning curve...so be patient and try many different solutions...

We are very free here to voice our opinions, just watch cursing as there is a very strict policy against it.

Please however feel free to continue discussion.

my two cents,

each cms has it's advantages and disadvantages...try to create a cms that fit's everyone's needs is very difficult.  when we move into development...there is always a learning curve...so be patient and try many different solutions...

Hi El Patron,

I think Prestashop is an excellent system.

I agree with you, but I think "Prestashop" should give more facilities so that any user can easily program a module.

For example, the documentation of Prestashop is very basic, compared with that of wordpress (that's just my opinion)

(I can not speak English, I used google translator)

• Like 1

I like it that You guys posted logical replays to my post.

You are totally right .. back in 2010 .. everything changed since then and programming went to another level.

I should look for more constructive topic and put my remarks as things to improve and stop complaining (I got quite upset the other day when I didn't know how to do what I needed - but as I said, I work with my first Prestashop project).
After all it works. Redesigning core must require tons of programming hours so I know how hard it must be.

I won't agree with you when it comes to Prestashop's speed, It requires too many files, there's no need for separation of every little thing I use. Basic installation has over 6500 files. It's a lot and in my opinion it is one of the reasons it makes Prestashop work slower - what I see on developer side since caching is disabled.

I won't agree with You when You say that it is much more complicated then other CMS systems. After all You got posts with a tag or category (products) and a logged in user with simple list of items in basket. No mega-magic there. Order status is simply a digit in an SQL row so there's no way that it slows anything.
. in 2010 ( :P ) we could argue about complexity, but today - other CMS systems have all the internal connections Prestashop does (well to be honest I must admit that I didn't use anything else then Wordpress and my company's CMS based on Symphony - so probably I'm not the role model you should look up to :P )

I also don't like SMARTY but I belive it is useful in larger companies (where less experienced developers work).

The most important thing that I would like to be different is usage of plugins.

There should be an universal hook, that would allow each plugin to be called wherever I need it.
+ documentation .. I would love to see better documentation.

To be honest I gave up on trying to write everything the clean, object orientated way.
I Started to modify core files (as all others Prestashop udevelopers I presume) to achieve what I need. This is not the way to do it but it works for today.

Now for some side facts not connected with the topic (my personal feelings -- wow .. what a gay day I have :P) : it's funny how You edit each

To summ it all:
> We could use universal hook for plugins
> Developers should stop writing plugins in a way which needs modification of core files (what's the point in using SMARTY when you can't use it without php)
> Documentation - I know Wordpress is a really well developed system, but what other example should I post .. WP documentaion rules

Edited by hypermotion (see edit history)

• 2 years later...