how to migrate from PS cloud to self host using the PS provided backups

hypa

Question

10 answers to this question

Assuming you have located a hosting provider, you will need to use those files to re-create your store.  If you don't know how to do this, maybe you can reach out to your hosting support and they can help you.

If you are looking for paid help, feel free to contact me through my website, and I can provide you with an estimate to deploy these to your existing hosting server.

Thanks fortunately pretty much done now...

I e-mailed the prestashop e-mail address given where the backup files were made available and they e-mailed me a word doc migration guide mostly in English....

Unfortunately i only received the guide after i spent 3 hours working it all out myself :angry:

but pretty much got there in the end.... :unsure:

here is excerpt from intro of the guide

In a nutshell, the proposed method discussed in this document consists in loading a standard, "blank" version of PrestaShop onto your host account, with the same release number as your Cloud shop.  Then, you have to transfer your shop's files and data into this new configuration.

basically you have to do a fresh PS install with same version as your PS Cloud store

then upload the backup files supplied via FTP (or quicker via filemanager in cPanel for instance)

and import the SQL into your DB.

you also have two edit the 'store URL in 2-3' places in the DB (via phpmyadmin for instance)

as well as reset the .htaccess (by turning 'URL Friendly URLS' off then on again - can be in phpmyadmin again)

that's pretty much it... unfortunately the last couple of steps took me a while to work out....

also another tip is to clear your CACHE in Firefox if the FO is still redirecting to your old domain...

most the instructions are clearly set out in the word document from PS...(can't attach as says too big to upload)

i just wonder why they didnt give the guide as a separate download along with the www files and SQL files....

Edited by hypa (see edit history)

I would suggest attaching the guide to your topic, so that it may help others who are in a similar situation.

Also, what was the contents of the files zip they sent you? I find it strange that they provided what I assume is the website content.  Then why provide you the files and tell you not to use it.. something seems off

Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)

the .doc wouldn't upload, so here is a PDF version

the files they provide are needed once the fresh install has been completed (release numbers must match)

Step 2: Update with the data from your Cloud shop
You have already retrieved 2 files containing the data from your Cloud shop
a. A MySQL dump of your database
b. A tarball - .tgz file - containing php, css, html and images of your modules,
themes and products.

PS_Cloud_Migration_Doc.pdf

Can anyone tell me how long this process takes?  I have submitted a migration ticket but communication from prestashop seems to take a while and I don't feel like I have enough technical expertise to do this myself.  Also, in this document, it says that I can't keep my prestashop url but the communications from prestashop say that I will be keeping my current url.

Not sure which migration option you chose.

personally I followed the reminder warning that comes up in the BO, then went for the option 'Self-hosting' option here:

https://www.prestashop.com/cloud/en/my-stores

(can't see the options now so not sure what it was called but i didn't go with another host so i requested a backup to do myself).

After i clicked request backup i thought it could take days but was suprised when it was ready after a couple of hours when logged back in.

which was quite stressful to do the migration before new orders / customers registered...

i've just logged back in to see if my backup is still available and it says "Your backup has expired." and there is a button to request a new one.

clicked on that and it says: "Your backup request has been sent."

Not sure about keeping your URL -  probably different options depending on how / where you got your domain name from - maybe best to check with PS.

However if you purchased the domain somewhere else then it is yours until it expires (configure it at the registrar website where you bought it - to either transfer to another host where you want to host the store or buy a hosting plan there - but maybe shop around).

I would guess any xxxxx.pswebshop.com URL would be finished after 1st Feb but not sure so best to check/

ps. a few minutes after requesting a new backup (literraly 3-4 mins while typing this post) my new backup is ready! Good job must be automatic script or something :)

pps. it says re. domain name:

If you bought your domain name with PrestaShop, make a request to transfer your domain name by clicking HERE.

Link goes to support tickets:

https://www.prestashop.com/cloud/en/module/awesomehosting/support?init=ask

so best ask them

Greetings.

Well, i have followed your PDF guide (provided as Prestashop Documentation for migration) and i'm experiencing the following problem:

I have followed each step of the guide in Local machine (WAMP) and i have made the changes in the database and when i'm going to see if the store is running shows me that i have a redirection error. An it worries me since i need to repeat the steps on the Hosting's server

What i did?

• Deployed Prestashop 1.6.1.3
  • Deleted install folder
  • Deployed Server files
  • Switched settings.inc.php to localhost with DB and credentials
  • Changes on Database the URL to localhost/mystore

Since i can't log into the administrator yet i can't do the htaccess change trick and the redirection problem persists.

Am I doing something wrong?

i am not an expert so not sure if the following will help, but here are some tips i found useful:

Since i can't log into the administrator yet i can't do the htaccess change trick and the redirection problem persists.

you may be able to do this  htaccess trick via SQL editing software eg. 'phpmyadmin'

phpMyAdmin > Your PS Database > ps_configuration >PS_REWRITING_SETTINGS, value: 0

Value 0 means that Friendly URL are disabled (Value 1 enabled)
Disable then enable and save a couple of times maybe

2)
With regards to redirecting in browser - Maybe try to Clear the cache

In Firefox

Options > Advanced > Network Tab > Cached Web Content  > 'Clear Now'

3) Other place to check redirection is your DNS settings in your registrar

ie. make sure your domain name is pointing to your new PS installation (DNS changes eg. Nameservers, @ etc. can take while to update on servers) etc.

4) another tip try loading webpage in different browser

Where do you get your files backup? I have the db backup from prestashop backend, but not the files, thank you!

personally I followed the reminder warning that came up whenever i logged into my PS Cloud back office admin pages once every day or two - then went for the option 'Self-hosting'. It then generates two files as above (i think safer to use the 2 ones generated instead of your own cloud based DB backup as could be different).

Hopefully the backup migration option should also be here:

https://www.prestash...ud/en/my-stores

or right now if you are logged in click on your username in top right then click on 'My Store' and should be some options. Request the option you want/. If you are migrating to self host then the backups should be available pretty quickly.

then follow the instructions in the doc pdf above