Prestashop 1.6 or 1.7 advice?

LadyLionheart

Hi guys,

I'm new to prestashop and moving over from oscommerce. My webshop is terribly outdated and needs renewing and prestashop seems like a good fit. I've now installed 1.7 to play around with a bit and I really like all of the options and how versatile it is. 

However my payment provider (multisafepay) does not have a module out yet for 1.7, and this is a serious problem. However I also don't want to build a site in 1.6 if I can not easily convert it later, and be stuck with the same problem I have now, to have to build another webshop.

Also it seems Prestashop theme maker is a handy tool, can anyone tell me if it is worth the money? I don't need a really 'busy' looking webshop. And themes seem to be kind of expensive, even though often they only seem to change the main page of the webshop.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed 1.7.0.4 a few days ago and started to build the site. but just like you, my payment provider doesn't have a module for 1.7. Furthermore even paypal official module is not ready yet. 

That's why I decided to go for 1.6.1.1. and no regret.

Hi guys,

I'm new to prestashop and moving over from oscommerce. My webshop is terribly outdated and needs renewing and prestashop seems like a good fit. I've now installed 1.7 to play around with a bit and I really like all of the options and how versatile it is.

However my payment provider (multisafepay) does not have a module out yet for 1.7, and this is a serious problem. However I also don't want to build a site in 1.6 if I can not easily convert it later, and be stuck with the same problem I have now, to have to build another webshop.

Also it seems Prestashop theme maker is a handy tool, can anyone tell me if it is worth the money? I don't need a really 'busy' looking webshop. And themes seem to be kind of expensive, even though often they only seem to change the main page of the webshop.

You can't update with 1click update from 1.6 to 1.7. 1.6 is made with bootstrap, 1.7 is symphony. Are different.

I know 1.6 will have updates till 2018.

If you can't use payment for your website for 1.7, my oppinion is to set 1.6. Otherwise, to not have to rebuild it after 2 years, put 1.7.

Definitely go with 1.6 for any new production site.  Play with 1.7 as a demo or test site, but do not use it in a production mode.  This is the same advice I have given any merchant since PS v1.4.  PS has a long history of releasing 'stable' immature versions of software, and expect merchants to be their guinea pigs to test it

As far as your payment module, feel free to contact me, as I may be able to upgrade your module to support PS v1.7.  This way you can at least test 1.7 and be ready with your module when 1.7 is ready to be used.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! It’s Cart2Cart over here! We can assure you that there is no easier and more reliable way to convert your store store from 1.3 to 1.7 than using Cart2Cart automated tool. It lets you transfer products, orders, customers, SEO URLs and other related data to a new PrestaShop 1.7 store within just a few hours with no manual data import / export or programming required. Check out the Cart2Cart: PrestaShop Migration Module

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Cart2Cart team