Can't load themes (1.7.0.3)

Just did a completely vanilla prestashop 1.7.0.3 install on Centos 7.

Had to fudge a few things, including 777'ing the destination directory temporarily.

Loaded everything up, it went through without errors, classic/default theme displays... yay.

However when I go to install another theme, it claims they aren't valid 1.7 themes. I've tried it with more than one to confirm it is an issue with the install and not the theme. (And yes, these are explicitly 1.7 themes).

My guess is there is some permission issue still going on for unpacking the theme, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Are there any known issues where I should start digging to debug it, or to try and unpack one of the themes manually?

I'm utterly new to PS, and I gather PS 1.7 is new in the market, so any help would be appreciated.

Followup for group knowledgebase:

As it turns out despite trying with two different themes, on closer inspection, both were flawed, despite one being a commercial theme offered on Prestashop's own site.

The commercial theme was packaged/zipped with a windows file structure/naming/path system using backslashes and having excess files like thumb.db. It couldn't extract into a Linux directory tree. Had to convert the thing over and repack it. Interestingly the developer hadn't been able to solve that issue over a week's time. (I admit it has me a bit worried if it is indicative of other modules. Particularly given 1.7 apparently has broken a lot of the well vetted and mature 3rd party add-ons.)

The other theme was a free theme posted in the forums, but was missing a couple files Prestashop seems to look for.

Once the commercial theme was converted and re-zipped, it installed fine. All is well that ends well. Lots of reasons a theme may not be valid, but for those who run the error and can't find other solutions, look at how the .zip package's files are formatted.