Do I need multishop?

zapmore

Hello,

I'm starting 2 different webshops on 2 different domains. I looked at the official guides about multishop and I don't thick any of the boxes, but still doesn't now how I will do the following without multishop?

• 2 webshops, 2 domains
  • Want to administer the webshops, upgrades, sales, etc from one backoffice instead of 2.
  • Use different templates
  • Some products will overlap, some don't

Do I need 2 separate installations or one with multishop?

If it is 2 seperate, could they both connect to same db for product quantity?

-> Also is it slower to use multistore than two separate installations on the same shared server?

Thank you!

Edited by zapmore (see edit history)

If you want a single back office to admin the 2 stores, then you need to use multishop.

If you prefer to use 2 different installations, you can share a single database, just make sure the database prefix is different (ie.  ps1_ and ps2_).  This is part of the install

As for speed, you should install and perform testing and answer the question for yourself

• Like 1

If you want a single back office to admin the 2 stores, then you need to use multishop.

If you prefer to use 2 different installations, you can share a single database, just make sure the database prefix is different (ie.  ps1_ and ps2_).  This is part of the install

As for speed, you should install and perform testing and answer the question for yourself

Thank you for the information!

To expand on the questions, if I use two installs, can they share the same inventory?

Also if I start with one shop now, is it much extra work later to expand into multishop?

No

You just enable multistore and add any additional stores you need

Thank you again for great answers :)

2 last questions....

• If I plan to have 2 stores, is it smarter to have the install on a third random domain and then connect the 2 store domains to the store on the third domain? (thinking both for security and also if I in the future close down the "main" store)
  • How is the SEO with multistore? Is it better with single installs or makes no difference?

you realize you can install it and test and see how it works, right?

Yes I do, but since I'm quite new to this, I don't want to end up with big surprises later down the line, so I'm asking from those how have done this before and to share their experience... 

• Like 1