Possible ? PrestaStore v.1.7 installation on shared GoDaddy server ?

Hello guys.

After trying for few days to install new PrestaShop 1.7 on my shared GoDaddy server and getting HTTP 500 errors

I was told that it can't be installed on shared server and need to get VPS one ?

True ? Does anyone have shared GoDaddy server with new PrestaShop 1.7 installed on it ?

Thank you for your time !

S.J

Whatever E-commerce website your are doing, whatever is the platform you are using, if you process transactions on your Website (Someone can order an item), you are always better on a VPS. Isolated on a virtual machine assure that other morons with viruses cannot affect you.

That being said : PrestaShop 1.6 could be installed on GoDaddy server without a problem. 1.7 is more complicated, I am unsure of the technical spec needed to be able to process the whole thing. There might be some specific configuration needed, which GoDaddy cannot do on a shared server. I can't tell you that it is "True" or "False". But I can tell you: IT CAN BE TRUE.

Best regards,

Martin.

• Like 1

It is always recommended to run your website on a VPS (or dedicated) server but it is not like that a PrestaShop store cannot be run on a shared hosting.

Advantages of VPS over Shared hosting

• You will have a huge space and bandwidth which enables you to do what you like.
  • You can upgrade or downgrade your subscription at any time.
  • You can configure anything you wish on the server as you own it.
  • Run your own batch files to create multiple services inside the server using shell access.
  • You can avail an extensive and dedicated 24/7 Customer Support which will help you have better security levels.
  • You can have easy scalability and backup in this method.
  • User partitioning enables you to custom firewall configurations.
You can check the following links for more details on this:

You can get a VPS for less than or the same as any decent shared-hosting and you have complete control of how you setup your environment -- yes there is a small learning curve but even that you have a lot of control over how much you want to take on. I honestly can't see why anyone would use shared hosting especially since the research into finding a shared-hosting that isn't garbage takes almost as long as just learning how to setup a VPS and there is no risk that EIG will just buy your shared hosting provider and ruin them.

As for the original question of whether 1.7 can work on GoDaddy shared hosting -- if you installed it and PrestaShop did not complain that a needed library was missing then it should work. I'd be really surprised if they made 1.7 incompatible with shared hosting. My guess is that you have a owner or permissions issue.