Error while installing PS 1.6.1.9. Install Module error

Same here. I'm trying to install 1.6.1.9 and on start it says that my system (FreeBSD, Apache2, MariaDB...) is ok, only notice is that my PHP may be obsolete in future (i have PHP 5.3 on machine. Rest is ok and goes smoothly, also installation language is ENGLISH. I tried few times, everytime get stuicked on 67% Install modules with "An error occurred during installation...". No matter if i try restarting the process or delete files, drop/create db and try fresh install, install everytime stops here...

In apache2 error-log there is:

[Tue Nov 29 08:35:43 2016] [error] [client HERE.IS.WAN.IP] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/httpd/presta-test/served/modules/statsdata/statsdata.php on line 108, referer: http://prestatest.tm.si/install/index.php?restart=true

Line 108 of that file is:

107: if (_PS_VERSION_ >= 1.7) {

108:   $this->context->controller->registerJavascript('modules-plugindetect', 'modules/'.$this->name.'/js/plugindetect.js', ['position' => 'bottom', 'priority' => 150]);
109: } else {

I'm not a programmer, but i'm installing 1.6, why line 108 get active? Or is this some sort of syntax error?

I hope it can be of any help...

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Edited by OrdinaryUser (see edit history)

I have same problem, Prestashop 1.6.1.9 installation fails at 67% because it can't install modules. I've tried installing into several different folders, have dropped the database and uploaded the files to the server several times and with different computers using different uploaders. Same result.

This wouldn't be so bad if prestashop 1.7.0.1 was up and running, but I found that was so slow and cumbersome I gave up and went for the "one click" install of 1.7.0.2 which is claimed to be "smooth". Needless to say the "one click" upload doesn't work at all.

I have no confidence in this product at all.

Edited by Paul1000 (see edit history)