Upgrade from Prestashop v1.6.x.x to v1.7?

i think that it's just a matter of time,

actual fresh 1.7.0.0 version is in fact the begining of bug fixing process ;-)

i'll give another 2-3 months, then, i think, tools to upgrade will be ready, core will be free of major bugs and module developers will make plugins compatible with new version

can't wait! :-)

• Like 5

Does it work correctly the "save" button with this new version?

it does,

but no one can guarantee that other things will be okay.

don't run production shop on this version. please treat this version as a beta version and wait for next bug fix release

• Like 2

actual fresh 1.7.0.0 version is in fact the beginning of bug fixing process ;-)

i'll give another 2-3 months, then, i think, tools to upgrade will be ready, core will be free of major bugs and module developers will make plugins compatible with new version

I was just emailed by TemplateMonster where I bought my theme that it is impossible to upgrade 1.6 to 1.7.

I was told that all my configurations and addons won't work and I'll have to start all over again.

Will there be tools to upgrade for templates other than the PrestaShop default theme?

@pause4paws

TemplateMonster is known for sticking with one specific  version of theme. So if you bought theme for 1.6.1.0 and have latest 

1.6.1.8 they would most likely advice you do downgrade and do not offer support for that version. So with 1.7 is more gap.

And like Vekia said do wait at least 3 month (would say 6 even) and then test that version. You are not obligated to upgrade though,

1.6 will work and get updates like they said for 2 more years. I know few stores that works nicely in 1.4 and 1.5 version. 

For theme no, there is no tool but some theme provides do upgrade theme with major on somewith minor versions of PrestaShop.

• Like 1

@pause4paws

TemplateMonster is known for sticking with one specific  version of theme. So if you bought theme for 1.6.1.0 and have latest 

1.6.1.8 they would most likely advice you do downgrade and do not offer support for that version. So with 1.7 is more gap.

And like Vekia said do wait at least 3 month (would say 6 even) and then test that version. You are not obligated to upgrade though,

1.6 will work and get updates like they said for 2 more years. I know few stores that works nicely in 1.4 and 1.5 version. 

For theme no, there is no tool but some theme provides do upgrade theme with major on somewith minor versions of PrestaShop.

Hi, Razaro,

Now I know, but for me I wasted a year with Magento before deleting the whole site to move to PrestaShop. I don't have the programming expertise to create a site from the basic template. So I bought from TM. They have upgraded me to 1.6.8 since I'm still in process of creating the site.

I plan on having this site for a long time (my last one was for 8 years), so if I will need to change templates in about two years, maybe I should take TemplateMonster up on their "offer" to restart again and use 1.7.  

Advice please? I'm too late for all the holiday sales anyway for my retail site.

i'll be honest, if I were you - i'll stay on ps 1.6

at the moment its the best e-commerce solution with a thousands of modules, templates and VERY large knowledge base around the internet.

it's the best choice for now.

im convinced that in the future we will get fancy software to move from 1.6.x to 1.7.x and also knowledge base about 1.7, available modules list for ps17 will be large enough to use 1.7 without stress.

we have to be patient, and we will be rewarded

• Like 3

i'll be honest, if I were you - i'll stay on ps 1.6

at the moment its the best e-commerce solution with a thousands of modules, templates and VERY large knowledge base around the internet.

it's the best choice for now.

im convinced that in the future we will get fancy software to move from 1.6.x to 1.7.x and also knowledge base about 1.7, available modules list for ps17 will be large enough to use 1.7 without stress.

we have to be patient, and we will be rewarded

Excellent advice, Vekia. Thank you. 

If you so curious and like to familiarize with new release - why not to organize kinda "sandbox" on your home/work PC?

There are a tons of server software: OpenServer, Denwer, XAMP/LAMP, et c. Just dl it, run and deploy test environment at home/office.

When/if you'll achieve satisfactory outcome - then it is possible to transfer "new" installation onto production environment.

I analyzed and found some of the payment module versions are not compatible with Prestashop version 1.7.0.0. A lot of things have changed since the release of 1.6.x. Few of the technical aspects related with Payment modules are mentioned below.

1. PrestaShop 1.7 includes a new architecture based on the Symfony framework, along with its Twig templating engine.
    2. The front office hooks have seen a bit of evolution. Some have been moved, some have been removed, and some have been created.
    3. Some of the smarty variables used in Prestashop 1.6.x and it's lower series are deprecated in Prestashop version 1.7.
    4. The method to call the templates have changed in Prestashop 1.7.

:rolleyes:

I tried to find some of the payment related hooks for implementation, still I didn't found hookpayment operation in new version... :wacko: 

If anyone can please share 

I analyzed and found some of the payment module versions are not compatible with Prestashop version 1.7.0.0. A lot of things have changed since the release of 1.6.x. Few of the technical aspects related with Payment modules are mentioned below.

1. PrestaShop 1.7 includes a new architecture based on the Symfony framework, along with its Twig templating engine.

2. The front office hooks have seen a bit of evolution. Some have been moved, some have been removed, and some have been created.

3. Some of the smarty variables used in Prestashop 1.6.x and it's lower series are deprecated in Prestashop version 1.7.

4. The method to call the templates have changed in Prestashop 1.7.

:rolleyes:

I tried to find some of the payment related hooks for implementation, still I didn't found hookpayment operation in new version... :wacko: 

If anyone can please share 

http://build.prestashop.com/news/prestashop-1-7-faq/#will-there-be-any-impact-on-the-payment-modules

Thank you so much..

Also I found that a new payment hook "paymentoptions" is introduced in Prestashop 1.7. and tried it my custom module, It's working fine.
And my hookpaymentoption function now looking like this:

public function hookPaymentOptions($params)
    {
        if (
!$this->active) {

return;
        }

if (!
$this->checkCurrency($params['cart'])) {

return;
        }

$payment_options = [

$this->getOfflinePaymentOption(),

$this->getExternalPaymentOption(),

$this->getEmbeddedPaymentOption(),

$this->getIframePaymentOption(),
        ];

return $payment_options;
    }

Readmore: http://developers.prestashop.com/module/50-PaymentModules/index.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I've made the upgrade manually dumping the SQL database and editing it.

It is impossible to migrate 1-to-1 form 1.6 to 1.7

But i manage to migrate the products with its attributes/features/combinations

Did not transferred the customers, suppose, it could be an issue in order to transfer the customers' passwords intact.

Edited by DaoKakao (see edit history)