Not getting conversions

maxfox44

Hi Guys

I would be really grateful if people could take a look around my store and give me feedback to improve the conversions.  It's been evolving for about 18 months now and I have 350 products and looking to add more soon.

It's done some business, but not nearly enough and I'm spending Facebook and Adwords money to get traffic.

I just can't get enough people to add to the cart.  I've check around and the price and general offering is competitive, so I'm slightly worried that I've missed some important ecommerce steps.

https://www.gustodirect.co.uk

Many thanks

Max

Hi Guys

I would be really grateful if people could take a look around my store and give me feedback to improve the conversions.  It's been evolving for about 18 months now and I have 350 products and looking to add more soon.

It's done some business, but not nearly enough and I'm spending Facebook and Adwords money to get traffic.

I just can't get enough people to add to the cart.  I've check around and the price and general offering is competitive, so I'm slightly worried that I've missed some important ecommerce steps.

https://www.gustodirect.co.uk

Many thanks

Max

Your website looks nice, but the theme is kinda old.

The design has a high importance I would say.

Persoanlly, working daily with Prestashop I see it very often. There are plenty of themes you can choose from.

The next step would be Prestashop Addons Marketplace. There you can find tons of modules that will help you increase conversions.

Here's a video from Prestashop that may be useful to you. You can also check the other videos from their channel, they know what they are saying ;)

Good luck

• Like 2

Woah!

The video talks about information overload and then proceeds to do exactly that to the viewer. Had to stop it midway, but I have learned a few things. Going to need to integrate PayPal into my store, as all I can offer payment in is GBP which may be turning some people off.

Great! :)

Thanks Naldinho!

You do make an interesting point about pricing.  I took the decision to include shipping within the purchase price, to reduce cart abandonment.  This of course means our base price is sometimes higher than a few of our competitors, but still fine, if two carts were side by side.  Which is why I'm puzzled by the lack of conversion.

We are getting good click through from Google and Facebook adds, but for some reason, people just aren't adding to basket!!!

Have you looked at the terms people are searching for in Google (I don't use Facebook ads but they probably offer some way of doing that as well)?

A high CTR with a low conversion conversion can be because people are looking for something else. When I first started we were getting a lot of searches for two completely unrelated products that shared a lot of the same keywords. By using negative terms we made it so that our ads didn't show up for people who were looking for the other products.

We then also used negative keywords to eliminate a lot of people who were searching for our product but who based on their keywords were not good customers for us.

-----------------------

When it comes to site appearance / speed I think both are important and people should strive to do as much as they can but once you get above the point where you are acceptable to people in that they trust you not to be some scam then site appearance is just marginal gains.

In my situation our store uses the default theme, we did the product photography ourselves and while we put effort in obliviously not the same as professional product photography, and there are entire parts of the site that just haven't been finished / are broken that we're trying to get to but don't have time because of how busy we are fulfilling sales. Your site is much better than ours so it isn't an issue with the site's appearance. 

Things that occurred to me.

1) I just glanced at the page but your products seem bulky = expensive to ship. Is this a product you can compete with B&M stores on? 

2) Are you going up against Amazon? If you are selling something people can get from Amazon at least in the States you'd be fighting up a steep hill.

3) Is the CTR coming from potential customers or people who are looking for something else?

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.

We are competitive for points 1+2, I've tried different google and facebook ads and search terms.  I have no problem getting traffic, but they simply don't want to buy.  It's hard to see how someone is looking for something different.

For example, I run an ad, "grit bins for sale", they are directed to the grit bins page.  Not sure what more I could do.

Max

I tested your site on gtmetrix.com for speed and also on seositecheckup tools for organic search visibility.

There are improvements you can make both on speed and also SEO.

Your site loads in 6.5 seconds average. A good average is 4 or at least not more than 5 seconds.

For SEO, your score is 68 - You can work on the recommendations offered by this tool and improve your organic search. When looking for online conversions chances are potential buyers are looking for your products online - if you can show up organically when they search for the product that would boost conversions.

Attached are a screen shot of the reports - you can get the complete report by running the test on their site.

post-381574-0-10839100-1476862187_thumb.png

post-381574-0-45162500-1476862189_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Max,

This is not difficult to understand.

Comprison prices websites has huge SEO, lot of traffic, and potential customers of course...

If you are inside them, you get backlinks with good SEo power for each, which will make them more visible in search results of google....

We recommend to our French client to not pay them on per click as you get ruined most of the time, it is ok for big players only...

On french market, you can get leguide.net with their European network of sites which is fine. Another one we like is touslesprix.com as they are win-win men : you pay a commission to them based on sales (have to ngociate the% with them)...

You can advertise anywhere else of course, but on reliable network with qualified traffic to get sales, you must spend a little, test, and assess conversion rate you get....

Digital communication is very big subject and of a primordial importance these days to be visible and attract the people you want, we know quite a lot, but we can't also say we are epert in this field...

• 2 weeks later...

your 'above the fold' is to be blunt, terrible.  every page requires a scroll to see your important catalog information.

you need to find a high quality theme that provides the tools to present your catalog properly.  This was pointed out several times in previous posts, this is what is hurting you the most.  A poor visitor experience.  I recommend Leo themes, can be purchased on addon's or their site.  Without new modern theme with built in tool set 'all' is lost.

giddy up

• Like 1