Modules Tab missing after full site backup on new directory

Hello fellow geeks, in our attempt to upgrade from 1.4.6 to 1.6+ we backed up our live site on a separated directory */shop/* and everything went smooth until we tried to access our modules to run the 1-click upgrade and it displays "Tab file cannot be found.Tab file cannot be found."

In the past we ran into a similar situation but was created by some sort of incompatibility by a module we had just installed so it was easy to fix. Now we are clueless because the entire website was backed up, including obviously the modules folder.

Has anyone ran into something similar? We have not upgrade, we are on the initial stage of upgrading, so we just backed up and uploaded the site into a testing directory.

We can access "positions" and hook/unhook modules but they won't be displayed under the "modules" tab.

Cheers,
AJ

Edited by tivicrdotcom (see edit history)

Thanks for replying Vekia, it displays the following:

?tab=AdminModules&token=fed1ad32969770e029f2f3c342eac4a4

There was some sort of progress yesterday as I replaced the index.php file with another one (larger) that I found on a forum, so it now displays: "Tab file cannot be found." once and before I replaced that file it displayed it twice: "Tab file cannot be found.Tab file cannot be found."

Ok so I believe I figured out the whole chimichanga. It never made sense that a successful back up of a live site wouldn't work because they should be exactly the same so I went back to the live site, clicked on the modules tab (something I should have done first duh!) and voilá, same issue so it seems as if the last module uploaded (SafetyPay) created a conflict. It kind of makes sense because they had lots of problems implementing it to 1.4.6

So I will delete them from the server and where else do they get coded into? What files to look for?

thanks kindly,
AJ

deleted long response...you have not yet upgraded....

I don't like upgrade to folder when shop built in root, if you  use subdomain then that is root...no change

as for issue, using ftp, view modules, sort by file date/time to see what was loaded lately.

:) el 

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

I concur. Although I haven't migrated to 1.6 but based on early projections it will become a mess when doing so wouldn't it be easier to install a fresh stable copy of 1.6, import db and images and one will achieve the same result as upgrading?

upgrade 1.4 to 1.6 is trivial, do 1.4 to 1.4.11,  then 1.4.11 to either last 1.5 stable or go for gusto and hit stable 1.6....

once you  have working copy (in maint mode), back that up...and start your upgrade testing.

really the hard part is configuring new quality theme in front office, but well worth the effort....and if you  do on copy...you can learn a lot

TIP: if prod root..then subdomain copy,  it just screws up images etc...and same when you go product,  folder to root...avoid! lol

good luck!

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

I believe the optimal way to run a Prestashop store without running into this issues is to have two identical stores running simultaneously and have the automatic upgrade option turned on one of them. Then you just keep going back and forth from one to another via domain redirecting. For instance I never did anything to my live shop as far as upgrade because it was selling well so if ain't broken don't fix. Then I wanted to add a feature on our site which is only available for 1.6+, we could probably talk to the developer and give us a 1.4 version and get away with it but I do have other shops running 1.6+ and they look nicer, more optimized to today's trends. My live shop looks as if you are browsing back in the 90's :wacko:

On the other hand, there are some old products we don't longer carry so starting fresh could be a good idea, fresh website, fresh feeling the only thing we would need from the current live site are the customers and all other relevant info could be copied from one another. Another thing we could use are some of the products (the ones that sell).

Will a fresh installation of 1.6+ with importing of db and products/images work? If you think about it when upgrading you loose all customization so a big part of the core files become irrelevant so only db and products/images are useful. Is just a lot of headache for those two components! B)

Edited by tivicrdotcom (see edit history)

So I found out what the issue was although I can't figure it our yet. So under admin -> tabs, the AdminModules.php file is missing, no biggie, simply upload it to the server and voilá. When I upload the file, it shows the progress but it doesn't get store. You do it again and you would think you wi receive a "the existing file already exists, do you want to replace it?" but it doesn't so it means the file is not being stored but why?

Cheers,
AJ