Enable PHP's allow_url_fopen setting Issue

fyahball

Hi Guys 

I have just installed new PrestaShop 1.6.1.7 and can not connect to PrestaShop Addons.

I have double checked on my shared server that allow_url_fopen = On is in php.ini. 

Still not able to connect, windows keep poping saying i should enable it. 

While 1-Click-Upgrade module is showing me this:

efore starting the upgrade process, please make sure this checklist is all green.

The 1-click upgrade module is up-to-date (your current version is v1.6.7) enabled.gif Your store's root directory is writable (with appropriate CHMOD permissions) enabled.gif PHP's "Safe mode" option is turned off enabled.gif PHP's "allow_url_fopen" option is turned on, or cURL is installed enabled.gif Your store is in maintenance mode enabled.gif PrestaShop's caching features are disabled enabled.gif PHP's max_execution_time setting has a high value or is disabled entirely (current value: unlimited) enabled.gif

Please also make sure you make a full manual backup of your files and database.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi bellini13 and selectshop.at

Thank you for replayin back. On 1.6.1.6 fresh installation i was able to connect with no issues. 
Then 1.6.1.7 published so i removed 1.6.1.6 prestashop via cpanel, and installed fresh new version of prestashop. 

There are no updates or overrides to core files which could prevent communication to servers. Since is outbox installation. 

do you have any overrides or updates to core files that prevent communication to prestashop servers?

@selectashop.at i will try and read phpinfo to see which file is prestashop now looking at. It's funny because until 1.6.1.7 i was able to connect to presta addons module with out any issue. Nothing has been changed on name.com where my domains are hosted. 

@selectashop.at i will try and read phpinfo to see which file is prestashop now looking at. It's funny because until 1.6.1.7 i was able to connect to presta addons module with out any issue. Nothing has been changed on name.com where my domains are hosted. 

This seems to be exact a problem of a firewall, which is denying access to Prestashop's IP. Ask your provider to add these IP's to whitelist. In fact it is not an allow_url_fopen problem in this case...

• 3 months later...

Hi,

just wondering what is the benefit when i change my webspace to  allow_url_fopen ?

Is this absolutely necessary to create an smooth and stable working Prestashop 1.7.3 ?

thank you for your ideas

http://phpsec.org/projects/phpsecinfo/tests/allow_url_fopen.html

It safer to leave it off, but there are good reasons to enable it too.  It really comes down to how trusting you are that the programs/code that use it will do so safely.

• 3 months later...
Guest pietropavangmail

I am running Prestashop 1.6.1.11 I am new here. I am getting the same error message:

If you want to be able to fully use the AdminModules panel and have free modules available, you should enable the following configuration on your server: 
- Enable PHP's allow_url_fopen setting

I am using cPanel to access my server and I already wrote to my service provider, waiting for an answer...

I have checked on cPanel and the allow_url_fopen is was disable and I enable it but keep getting the same error message...

I checked everywhere on cPanel but cannot see any firewall information...

Really stuck on this...

Guest pietropavangmail

this is the reply from my webhost support

I can see that allow_url_fopen is enabled for your Prestashop installation. Please see the screen-shot attached. You can also confirm it by visiting the link http://xxxxxx.com/PRESTASHOP/info.php on your browser.

Please be informed that allow_url_fopen cannot be enabled server wide, as your account is hosted on a shared server and this may affect other accounts in the server. However, it is enabled for your Prestashop. If you still face any issues, please get back to us with the exact steps you have followed to recreate the issue so that we can recreate the same issue from our end and troubleshoot it.

is the problem because my website is running on a shared server ?

Guest pietropavangmail

the problem is that i keep receiving that error message, i just bought the basic support with Prestashop, hope they will be able to fix it...

I do not believe its a PS issue either. Actually most Hosting Providers have this feature disabled as default. Depending on the host you can enabled it in the control panel yourself or check your phpinfo as bellini13 has suggested. In your case I am pretty sure it is not operational.

Edited by jetway (see edit history)

I don't hink it is a problem of the module allow_URL_fopen. I'm still convinced that your server is using a firewall blocking Prestashop's IP's. Your provider should check.

This seems to be exact a problem of a firewall, which is denying access to Prestashop's IP. Ask your provider to add these IP's to whitelist. In fact it is not an allow_url_fopen problem in this case...

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue and still looking for a solution.  Has anyone ever resolved it?  

We've had allow_URL_fopen turned on for at least a year or so, and now unable to connect our shop to PS or use an add-on module we'd like to use.  Provider can't find IP's to whitelist, so I'm hoping someone knows what the fix might be. 

• 3 months later...