Upgrading then using clean prestashop files

With the exception that an upgrade will not remove any custom files you may have installed (images, modules, php files etc...).  So the end result is ultimately not the same

I know that an upgrade will not remove custom files, but it will upgrade the database to the newer, then I can move the database to a new install of the same upgraded version and have a clean install. I basically want to be left with the closest thing to a new uncustomized install.

So your database will, at a minimum, have references to modules and configurations that will not apply to a "clean install" files. 

your database will expect a module to exist, that would not exist.  There would likely be other issues of a similar nature doing this. 

Instead, why not compare your existing stores files to a fresh install of the same exact version of Prestashop, and note the differences.  That will tell you how far customized it is.

But what do I know, why bother asking if it will work.  Why not just try it and figure out if it will work or not?