Creating categories, menus and submenus in 1.7 lacks a lot.

Traumflug

A freshly installed v1.7.0.0-beta2 here, created with an empty database.

What I can do:

• Create categories.
  • Attach such categories to the main menu.
  • See the resulting menu items in the front office.

What I can not do:

• Can't connect one category to another one as a sub-category. Admin panel -> Catalog -> Categories -> Edit (on a category) simply has no menu or chooser or checkbox or whatever to do this.
  • Can't put a product into a category. Catalog -> Products -> Edit (on a product) -> Basic settings has a small box on the lower right side which looks like a category editor. I can search for categories there, the other available ones appear. Clicking on such a found item adds a small blue box with the name of that category. Then hitting "save", going back to the admin menu and calling the product edit page again makes that little blue box disappear. Only "Home" is always there.
  • Can't click on one of the menu items in the front office to get to the category page. All menu items there link to the front page.
  • Can't open a category page manually. Perhaps because I can't guess it's URL, but I tried many URL guesses.
  • As a result of the above, I can't have submenus either.

I write this post less because I want to lament about the unusability of a beta distribution, more about asking wether others have the same experience. Perhaps some of this stuff works elsewhere, so we can look at what's different.

Also about finding ways to work around these deficiencies until they're fixed. As I currently plan on a handful (5) of products only, I wouldn't mind to hack the database directly. Any hints?

Does the above match your experience?