PayPal transaction fees integreation at check out

PeterDes

Hi,

Is there somebody who know how to integrate the PayPal transaction fee at the check out.
So the client pays an extra fee to use PayPal.
This fee should be 3.4%+€0.35 for every transaction, because PayPal ask 3.4%+€0.35 for every transaction.

Somebody can help out to inegrate this or is there a simple solution.

Kind regards
Peter

For every transaction with PayPal you need to pay, depending of your monthvolume, the smallest monthvolume fee is 3.4%+0.35 euro for not international transactions. If your volume gets higher then the fee gets lower.

So if a client buy for 100 euro and pays with PayPal, PayPal wil get 3.4%+€0.35 of that 100 euro. That is 3.75 euro for a transaction from 100 euro if your monthvolume is between €0-€2500 .

I think every shopowner wil be agree that he don't want to pay this transactionfee by himself, it is the client that choose to pay by bankwire (and pay no fee) or pay over PayPal (and pay the transactioncost)

If i look to another ecommerce software Wosbee, there can you choose if the payment methode has to have a transactioncost and how much it has to be. When the client choose for a payment, the transactioncost iw integrated in the check out of the basket.

I think this transaction cost integration would be very good.

Kind regards.
Peter

:lol: Just because another piece of software does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. To be honest if you don't like what PayPal charge you for their services then don't use them!

If you charge a fee for using PayPal on your site you will invalidate their Seller Protection scheme as a condition of this is that you do not charge additional fees for paying with PayPal.

Why not set your pricing so that you cover these costs, and if someone pays by bankwire, then you'll make a little extra?

Paul

• 4 months later...

Acctually I really hope the order object will get a "transaction fee" attribute in next version because MANY MANY companys providing payment by creditcard or invoice charge the store owner for each order and most of the stores wants to add this fee to the order total.

I understand where you're coming from, but the conditions of use for these same companies often specify that you cannot charge extra, so you would have to be very careful you didn't lose the facility altogether over a small percentage of your "profits".

Such fees are just variable costs associated with doing business, and should be handled accordingly.

I would strongly recommend that store owners read and fully understand the terms and conditions of their payment processor, before taking action like this.

Paul

All though you can say something for both options mentioned above i think it would be nice to have the shop owner decide weather he would like to charge more or not.
Personally I would like to see the feature. I do not want to charge more to all my customers because some of them want to pay with a credit card. If you want to use a more convenient payment option you can pay for it.
A bank wire is a very common thing in the Netherlands.
PayPal itself is not that common yet. It is upcoming though.
Since I don't want to raise the price of all my products with 3,5% I would also love the option to charge the customer if he or she uses PayPal.

As I said, it is a personal choice that has pro's and con's. But it should be up to the owner to decide...

I understand where you're coming from, but the conditions of use for these same companies often specify that you cannot charge extra, so you would have to be very careful you didn't lose the facility altogether over a small percentage of your "profits".

Such fees are just variable costs associated with doing business, and should be handled accordingly.

I would strongly recommend that store owners read and fully understand the terms and conditions of their payment processor, before taking action like this.

Paul

yes, but as it is today there is not even the option. and this is something that is different from country to country.. in Sweden most companys allow this extra fee.. they even have that as a special input in the APIs "transactionfee" or "administrationfee" or such. this should be possible to save on the order somehow more simply than today without having to redo changes in a whole bunch of files for each new version. I just checked the SVN and there is no such addition for 1.2 yet so I think we need to push the team to put this feature in next release ;)

I made a poll for it, let the users decide what they think :)
http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/11600/general_discussion/transaction_fee/

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...