Sorting products in categories

ambrogiouk

Prestashop version  1.6.1.6

The documentation says:

It also adds a "Position" column to the table, with which you can order the product on the category page. This is done either by moving the rows up and down, or by clicking the arrows.

Your product order can then be overridden by the user's sorting choice.

Note that when you change the display order in the product list in the back office (by clicking on column name's arrow in order to sort products according to that column), the "Position" column does not display arrows nor can you use it to move rows around anymore. Instead, it displays the position number of the product. In order to be able to position products again, click on the "Reset" button.

First of all the only way I have found to be able to see the 4 arrows icon and so be able to move the rows is ordering the products by position ASC. I can't see any up or down arrows and also can't see any reset button. Once you have clicked a sorting column there is no way to reset that choice other than choosing a different column order.

Also and most importantly the order you specify doesn't reflect in the front end, the order in the frontend (choosing Position insede category in the backend Preferences) doesn't follow any pattern I can reconize. I have checked db and the order in table ps_category_product is correct as defined in the backend, just the shop doesn't take this order into account to show products to users.

If you need any extra info don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by ambrogiouk (see edit history)

to sort products you have to filter them by category first

then you will be able to sort products by position inside selected category

click on arrow, you will be able to drag and drop droducs then

screenshots for reference:

YtUxakW.png

hE9nECd.png

That's what I have done, as I said:

"First of all the only way I have found to be able to see the 4 arrows icon and so be able to move the rows is ordering the products by position ASC"

Even if I change the order in the backend the position doesn't take the order into account in the frontend. I can't understand how the frontend order the products in the list. Have to say we have categories and sub-categories.

Is that working for you? Maybe I module I have enabled which breaks things?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@azmaer

could you please explain a little better?

I can't follow your instructions...

Many thanks ;)

Go to admin -> modules -> installed modules -> and find "Category tree links" module which have description "Adds a block featuring product categories."

Hit 'configure' and check:

Sorting to 'position

Next find installed module named "Faceted search" with description "Displays a block allowing multiple filters"

Enter configure and check:

Show products from subcategories to NO

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 6:32 PM, azmaer said:

Go to admin -> modules -> installed modules -> and find "Category tree links" module which have description "Adds a block featuring product categories."

Hit 'configure' and check:

Sorting to 'position

Next find installed module named "Faceted search" with description "Displays a block allowing multiple filters"

Enter configure and check:

Show products from subcategories to NO

Sorry for the delay answering you.

Unfortunately my module "category tree" is already set to "position" and I haven't any module called "Faceted search".
I have the 1.6.1.17 version.