[SOLVED] Moving Prestashop to another server

Hi Presta-community,

after noticing that Presta was really choked on our shared server, we decided to move to a much more powerful one.

The moving itself takes ages, it's been going now for days. The shop is big, but not that big, we have about 9.000 products.

It seems that the worse folder to move is the smarty/cache.

Can I just skip it? 

Thanks for any advice!

Sorry, I forgot: Prestashop 1.6.0.14

Edited by Mat_D1245 (see edit history)

You can even skip all the /cache directory! Just create it empty, this should work.

Ok thanks, I knew that... I was asking about the root/smarty/cache folder on the server, not the root/cache/smarty one. 

Can I just ignore its content when moving the site?

what are you using to move the site?  do you have cpanel?

I'm not sur what cpanel is...

The new hoster is moving it for us, it was part of the deal. But we have 6 more websites we will have to move, and I don't want to have to wait so long each time.

We will move the other sites using old school ftp and something like mysql dumper for databases.

using FTP is probably the worse way to move a site.  cpanel is a control panel that many hosting providers provide to their customers, but there are others out there like plesk too. 

if you are not provided with a control panel of some sort, then I would ask you hosting provider to grant you access to the server so you can compress the stores folder into a single zip file that you can download or transfer to the new host.  if they won't grant you access, then request that they do it for you

Even with FTP it shouldn't take several days to transfer a site.

I download my entire site using FTP before every update so that I can easily restore all the edits to core files after the update destroys them. The whole thing downloads in a couple of hours. I'm actually doing that as I type. I started it at after 9pm and I expect it to be done before midnight.

I guess it really depends on your hoster...

Just trying to delete /cache/smarty takes me more than a day! In fact I always stopped before it actually completed the deletion. It is easier and quicker to move it in a /cache/trash/ folder or to rename it...

So I know I can skip the www.my-great-shop.com/shop/cache/ and just recreate the path on the new server.

But can I skip www.my-great-shop.com/shop/smarty/cache/ ?  

You should delete anything inside your-website/cache folder. Just tell me what is your root url.

Step by step to backup your website:

- Backing up database : you could use PhpMyadmin on your Cpanel page, or upload Mysqldumper to your website and use it to backup your database ( i wrote an article to show you how to backup Prestashop database.

Backup your files : you shouldn't use FTP to backup your files. You will be crazy to wait for finishing process.

Edited by DeJour (see edit history)

I'm not sur what cpanel is...

The new hoster is moving it for us, it was part of the deal. But we have 6 more websites we will have to move, and I don't want to have to wait so long each time.

We will move the other sites using old school ftp and something like mysql dumper for databases.

As i said, do not use ftp to backup your files. Backup your database is easy with your hosting built-in tools, but ftp is a nightmare.

You might want to use my module called SOO Prestashop Cloud Backup to backup your files and database just with one click and without contacting hosting provider. You can upload your backed up files and database to Google Drive and use them to restore your website on a new server.

Edited by DeJour (see edit history)