I use Prestashop 1.6

In Preference>SEO & URLS. I changed my SCHEMA OF URLS>Route to products

to :   {id}-{rewrite}.html

I liked how the URL no longer had the category and ean13. Thought that by cleaning up the URL, It will help with SEO

When I search one of my products on Google and find it, I click on it and get an Error 404

I notice the URL from the Google search is still the old one.

Ex: Google search  ADD36429824 LG Refrigerator Door Assembly

Search results URL : https://usapartsandmore.com/kitchen/3360-ADD36429824-LG-Refrigerator-Door-Assembly-Right-ADD73076303-ADC52734322.html 

New product URL : https://usapartsandmore.com/3360-ADD36429824-LG-Refrigerator-Door-Assembly-Right-ADD73076303-ADC52734322.html

What do i need to do so Google knows I changed the URL of all my products? How can I fix this problem?

Please help :)

Edited by rgavilan2 (see edit history)

Yo will need 301 redirects, there is no way presta can guess the new url structure given the previous

How do I do that?

and do you recommend to do it? 

Is it good for SEO if I short the URL. What I did was delete {category:/}  &  {ean13} from the URL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi there.

One thing I don't understand (I have the same need as rgavilan2, want to change my urls structure)...surely stupid question but....

if I have "Redirect to canonical URL" set to 301 shouldn't prestashop automatically redirect ie. "old" product url {id}-{rewrite}{-:ean13}.html to the new url {id}-{rewrite}{-:ean13}-{manufacturer}-{category}.html so that if an old link shared through social media gets redirected to the same product but with new url?

Cheers

M

Edited by mehere (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Hi there.

One thing I don't understand (I have the same need as rgavilan2, want to change my urls structure)...surely stupid question but....

if I have "Redirect to canonical URL" set to 301 shouldn't prestashop automatically redirect ie. "old" product url {id}-{rewrite}{-:ean13}.html to the new url {id}-{rewrite}{-:ean13}-{manufacturer}-{category}.html so that if an old link shared through social media gets redirected to the same product but with new url?

Cheers

M

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks